VR / IS for Zooms

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey All... I'm slowly starting to shop for a telephoto zoom. I'm not overly concerned with money but I have noticed that there are a lot of Nikon zooms (50 - 200, 70 - 300) that are in the less than $200 range and then there's another group around $500 that are the vibration reduction lenses. Is VR worth the extra money? Maybe there are other features / quality improvements that warrant the price jump as well. Any opinions on VR lenses and how valuable it is?

Thanks!

YES YES YES IS/VR is worth it. You get what you pay for.

70-200 f2.8 VR or IS lenses are two of the best zooms. I have the canon and it's amazing.

It depends on what you are shooting. If you are looking at shooting a lot of low light shots where you shutter speed is low then yes IS can be of great value. If you are shooting sports with plenty of light and fast shutter speed then IS serves little purpose. IS will not freeze a subject in motion. That is done by shutter speed. IS is designed to combat the photographers own unsteadyness.

I've owned a nikkor 80-200 f2.8 for some time, but I recently got the VR version and absolutely recomend it, but it is expensive. I'm not getting any younger and the 'big one' was getting hard to hold as steady as it requires. The vr now lets me use this lens comfortably.

The 70-300VR is an ok lens, but for only a couple hundred dollars more, you can have the flat-out amazing Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8. I'd take my 80-200 f/2.8 over any 70-300 f/4-5.6.

The quality of lenses can be judged by the maximum aperture the lower end lenses that are cheaper are usually f/4-5.6 wheras when you et into a higher priced lenses they are usually f/2.8.

if you do not use a tripod, the VR / IS thing is a valuable feature. It does not do miracles, but with longer lenses it helps in some ways ... it is also useful if you stand, even with a tripod, on some vibrating ground (like a building with heavy machinery working inside, or a huge boat where the engine makes it vibrate slighlty).

For 40-100mm it is sometimes a nice feature.

for 100-300 it is a useful feature.

If you are looking at shooting a lot of low light shots where you shutter speed is low then yes IS can be of great value. If you are shooting sports with plenty of light and fast shutter speed then IS serves little purpose. IS will not freeze a subject in motion. That is done by shutter speed. IS is designed to combat the photographers own unsteadyness.

if you are shooting in low light, tripod would be advisable but with shutter speeds of say 1/30th at 200mm you'll get a sharp image.

In sports IS is also still a valuable addition. Not every game has plenty of light. Even with fast shutter speeds IS is a valuable tool - less so perhaps than at slow speeds but still valuable.

if you do not use a tripod, the VR / IS thing is a valuable feature. It does not do miracles, but with longer lenses it helps in some ways ... it is also useful if you stand, even with a tripod, on some vibrating ground (like a building with heavy machinery working inside, or a huge boat where the engine makes it vibrate slighlty).

For 40-100mm it is sometimes a nice feature.

for 100-300 it is a useful feature.

I think IS actually does do miracles! Especially shooting weddings. Try shooting at 1/30th 200mm without IS.....

As others have said if you need the capabliltiy of shooting handheld in lower light or sports it is well worth the money. I've got the Nikon 80-400 & 70-200 vr lenses and they are awsome!

Thanks for the feedback!!! My biggest phobia (as I'm sure you can all relate) is that I say "Well 90% of my shooting is with a tripod, outdoors the VR wouldn't be needed." then I don't get it and 1 month later end up missing the shot of a lifetime because I don't have the VR.

I'll keep my eye on the F2.8 80 - 200. Thanks again!

I think IS actually does do miracles! Especially shooting weddings. Try shooting at 1/30th 200mm without IS.....

ok, depends on how you define miracles ;) As I said, I agree there are situations where it is very useful .. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back