Wacom Tablet ? - Advice. Want to buy soon.. :)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by zendianah, May 2, 2007.

1. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi there. I would love to get a wacom tablet for correcting photos and graphic design, (illustrating with it) I used them when I was in College and havent used one since. I know that they have improved.. Anyone use them for editing photos or illustration? Is it worth the money? AND is there one that you reccomend over another. Wacom has a bunch.

I would appreciate any advice help I can get. I would like to purchase this weekend. :)

2. grafiks

grafiks TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For what it is worth, I bought one a couple years ago and never could get into using it. So, the mouse it is. I bought the steel blue ET-0405A-U.

Maybe it's because I've been using a mouse for so many years... Then getting used to a different interface is really difficult.

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't live without my Wacom tablet. I've been using a pencil since I was in kindergarten. I've been using a mouse for about ten years. It's a no brainer. The Wacom Graphire 4x5 is the smallest and cheapest, and works great with photoshop. I'd check prices around the net, but newegg.com usually has a good price.

4. klissarov ik

klissarov ik TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Indeed, I have a Intuos2 but don't use it as much as my mouse since it's different and not the best model- but covers what I need it for I guess. But I'll start using it more when I'll upgrade my PC since I'm on a 17inch CRT screen, which isn't the best option to work on pictures and such. And the PC is too slow, but that's just another of the wrong things with it heh.

http://tablet.wacom.co.jp/what/news-img/intuos2CS.jpg

5. Cuervo79

Cuervo79 Guest

well I have a graphire 3, mostly it helps allot when doing post procesing in photoshop (when you need to actually soften skin and take out scars, etc.) but after that the mouse is what I mostly use. I would recomend as Matt said the 4 x 5 I've got the next one (can't remember if its 4 x 6 or 6 x8 ) but its not like I really needed it. I think the size of the actual tablet depends on if you're going to really draw with it.

6. grafiks

grafiks TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been using a pencil since before kindergarten too, and I am also a natural artist, but getting used to the tablet was a problem. There are so many other computer applications I use where the tablet is not as desirable. That also means switching back and forth too often.

I do know that some people love using a tablet, and that is great.

So, zendianah, since you used to use a tablet and loved it, you will probably love it again. Wacom has good reviews.

7. Nein-reis

Nein-reis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a graffic designer, a tablet is a pricless companion... Wacom is an excellent choice, can't go wrong with any of there tablets.

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I have the old graphire 3 as well. I would say it is "ok". Most of the work is done with the mouse but detailed work (masking etc.. ) is done with he graphire. For extended use, I could never get used to it but it is a welcome help for detailed work.

One thing I hate about the software driving it is that there is no easy way to switch its assigned display from one to another quickly. Changing the setting requires opening the system preferences on my Mac.

9. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the big Wacom Intuit, and now I get bummed if I have to use my keyboard. Mouse? Forggeddaboautit. Don't need it anymore. LOL

But seriously, even though it's a bit pricier, you need to go with the Intuit vs the Graphwire. Intuit is pressure and direction sensitive. Anything else is like painting a portrait with a sponge roller. :)

10. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All Wacom tablets are pressure sensitive. The more expensive ones have a higher pressure sensitivity. It all depends on how you like to work. I don't come from a painting/drawing background. I have the pressure sensitivity turned off on mine.

11. CBRfanatic

CBRfanatic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have and LOVE my Intuos3 6x8! i COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT IT! Yea it takes time to get used to it, but once done you wont regret it. I recommend you go with the Intuos3 line, spend more now, be happy later. My Brother has 2 30 inch apple cinema displays so he uses the 12x19 Intuos3. What you really need to do is get that size that best works with your monitor size. Personally, im saving up for a Cintiq 21UX, ill be getting it in about a month and a half:D:heart:
    http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm

12. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I use a Wacom Graphire too. It took me a long time to get used to it, and I'm not 100% there, but the more I use it, the more I like it. The hardest part is breaking the 'it's not like drawing on paper' problem. After you can seperate that, and just pay attention to what the screen is doing, it gets a lot easier and ends up almost like you're sketching on a pad.