Wacom Tablet

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My daughter and I both have the smaller Wacom tablets (the mid size one in their Bamboo series) and we love them. They are pressure sensitive. I occasionally use mine and my daughter has pretty much worn hers out from constant use doing drawing and other graphics in Gimp. The only issue we had was the usual adjustments - getting used to a pen and "paper" type setup as opposed to a mouse or trackball to move around the screen. Since I have the lower end I can't speak much about the value for the $ on this specific one but can say that my ex who was a graphic design major in school has been using Wacom tablets for over 20 years.

I use this tablet, the medium is plenty big enough, It has a learning curve, is frustrating at times ... but I wouldn't go back to editing with a mouse ever.

I agree that medium is plenty. I have a much older Intuos 6x8 and it's the (imho) perfect size. I also use a laptop so the tablet is usually on my lap, not on a desk. I think that once you use a tablet you'll be hard-pressed to go back to the mouse for editing. It'll feel so much more natural. It's definitely pressure-sensitive which you can't do with a mouse. Do it. You'll love it!

Yep, the Intuos Medium was just the right size for me.

WrkStatn1-2-10_0028.jpg

I'm getting one next week. My plan is to try the $50 model to check it out and then upgrade when necessary.

I use the small - and then I map the screen area to less than 1/4 the area so I don't have to move my arm to go from one side of the screen to the other. I can still make minute brush adjustments. For photography, a small is all you really need.

Jim

I had a time deciding but ended up with a medium and that's turned out to be the right one for me. I use the pen most of the time doing anything that has to do with pixel manipulation but shift to the Wacom mouse to handle files and such where a Right Click is involved. You can do it all with the pen, I just find it easier to grab the mouse at times. Have to be careful not to have both on the tablet surface at the same time as it gets very confused.......

I'm getting one next week. My plan is to try the $50 model to check it out and then upgrade when necessary.
Didn't realize they had a model so inexpensive! Now I've got to add this to my list of maybes!!

I've been thinking about getting a tablet, and have been considering this product:

Amazon.com: Wacom Intuos Pro Pen and Touch Large Tablet (PTH851): Computers & Accessories

I have a Macbook Pro 15" purchased in October.
Couple of questions:
  • Has anyone used this specific product?
  • Was it worth the money?
  • What kind of trouble did you have (if any)
  • Does it work with the "pressure sensitive" brushes in PS?
Many thanks in advance!
--Kerry
Of course it's worth the money! There's a reason why the Intuos is ubiquitous amongst serious photographers and retouchers. ;) Personally, I think the large will be too big. It may even be bigger than your laptop itself! :aiwebs_016: I use a medium on a 24" screen, but before that I was using the Intuos 3 in a small and it was just fine. I'd say a small is all you will need with your laptop. One thing that you may or may not have an issue with is the touch functionality (where the tablet works like a touch screen). I personally turned the touch functionality off as it was driving me up the wall. Other than that I would say that a tablet is absolutely essential to serious retouching work, and for photography you're not going to get better than the intuos pro (unless you want to drop the coin on a Cintiq)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Glad to see you went with the medium size. When first purchasing a tablet 5 years ago, I thought bigger was better. I am now using the medium intuos pro and I could not live without it. I use a mouse when suring the internet, but that is about the only reason I even have one anymore. It will be frustrating at first, but I assure you if you force yourself to use it in place of a mouse for a week you will never want to go back!!!

Most reactions

Back