Wacom Tablet

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Big Mike, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wacom Tablet & pen....who's got one?

I picked up a smaller one last weekend and I've been using it to edit my latest wedding. It's taking some getting used to but I think I like it.

I'm still not up to speed on the different ways that it can be set in Photoshop...but I'm learning.

Anyone have any tips or wisdom to share?

2. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    same here.... i'm not tablet-savvy, and am interested in hearing the results. I have the Wacom 4x5 one.

In PS, I didn't set any settings (maybe I should try) but by default the harder I press, the bigger my tool gets (eraser, brush, etc) and that's super cool.

I work with multiple monitors, and hated the tablet to death until I found the setting that has to do with keeping proportions. Before I fixed the setting, moving right to left would move the cursor twice as fast as moving up/down. (2 screens = wider). After I fixed the setting, all I use is the bottom (maybe top) half of the tablet and proportions are correct, and all feels natural.

3. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I also have the small 4x5 one. I've been hearing that bigger is much better...but I found this one for 50% off...so I snatched it up.

I too use two monitors and found that it was a pain to move all around and get precise without zooming in and out constantly. I changed the pen to mouse style tracking and that is much better.

I haven't found where to change it...but I want to change the pressure from affecting the size of the brush, and have the pressure change the opacity.

4. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Which model did you get? I have the Intuos 3 Widescreen 9x12ish. Spend some time setting up the buttons and sliders. It is well worth it as you can program them for shortcuts you use most often. i.e. un-do, zoom-in, zoom-out. Really helps with the work flow. It will take some time to set teh pressure and sensitivity as you get use to it. Once it is set-up, it should fly. Great in Photoshop for cloning, erasing, etc. that you had no control over "pressure or opacity" with a standard mouse.

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mine is the 'Graphire' 5x4

6. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Big Mike, Your poor B@#&^%#. You have really stuck your foot into it this time. First it is a little tablet, then a bigger surface then an even bigger one. Then it is time to add a better pen. Next comes the wanting of a display tablet where you are working on the actual image on the touch screen tablet and viewing the results instantly on your monitor. If you have never used a touch screen tablet, they are heaven.

It starts here: http://www.wacom.com/graphire/4x5.cfm

Then here:http://www.wacom.com/graphire/6x8.cfm

Next: http://www.wacom.com/intuos/6x11.cfm

On to:http://www.wacom.com/intuos/12x19.cfm

Then finally: http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/

Don't forget the pens:http://www.wacom-components.com/english/product/pen.html

It's like buying a DSLR. Good Luck:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :D

Ok seriously you will find it very useful and fun to work with. Here is a good place for tips. http://www.wacom.com/tips/

7. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mike, I have a graphire 4x5 too. I've been using one for about 5 years. To be honest, for photography, I don't use any of the special brush settings in photoshop. I just turn it all off. I want the brush to function as it did as a mouse, only give me the control that a pen offers. I've been using a pen/pencil for 25+ years, and a mouse for 10 years. It's a no brainer. If you want the pressure sensitivity options, they are easily set up in the brushes palette in photoshop.

The tips I find most beneficial are using your non-pen hand to do keyboard shortcuts in photoshop. Changing the size of the brush with the [ and ] keys is #1. Changing tools by their shortcut key is also invaluable. (B) for brush, (O) for dodge/burn, (V) move, (S) clone, etc....

8. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i also have the 4X5 version and so far i love it, i just set it up and am using it the way it came... i got the white one and its getting all scratched up... but i'm ok with that i spose, cant think of any good tips right now, just love using it

9. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Matt...but I'm way ahead of you there. I always use the keyboard short cuts (mouse or tablet) and even change some of the standard ones to something that is easier for me. I've been working with AutoCAD as my full time job for more than 10 years...and I'm all about keyboard shortcuts.

10. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Big Mike,

If you really get to liking the thing and using it a lot you might want to check out the Intuos line as an upgrade. I started with the Graphire that you have back when it was a serial port/P2 connection. I to used a lot of keystroke shortcuts. I upgraded to the Intuos 6X8 and love the heck out of it. With the Intuos line there are several programable express keys on the pad border that can replace those shortcuts. Quick and easy for those most used menu items. Also a 1024 pen with three different nib styles is nice if you are doing a lot of retouching.

Do give the pressure function a try in Photoshop if that is what you are using. Once you get the hang of it, it is really useful. Have fun with the new pad.

11. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

i used to have one on my pc but it wont work on my Mac. Gutted.

was recently thinking of buying a new one but they are so expensive

12. Don't know how people work without them...