Hovik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingforceclub.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I'm really confused on what to do. Returned my 7D II and sold the only crop sensor lens I had. Now found a buyer for my 5D II, supposed to be sold by tomorrow.
Plan was to get rid of both cameras and order 5D III, which goes for $2500. I have 3 L lenses covering the range - 16-35, 24-70, 70-200. So figured one camera, 3 lenses and I'm done.
But I just looked at release dates of the 5D series and this is how they went:

5D - announced 22 august 2005
5D II - announced 17 sept 2008
5D III - announced 2 march 2012

First gap is 3 years. Second gap is 3.5 years. We're 3.5 years away from announcement of III.

Surely this means something is cooking at Canon? Would I be stupid to order III now and watch the price drop significantly as IV gets announced? Will there even be IV? 6D II? UGH!!!

Should I just forget Canon body for now and get Sony's a7R II with an adapter to use my lenses? But I heard autofocus won't work as well and that'll definitely hurt the type of photos I usually take - fast moving cars.

Part of me just wants to sell the 5D II tomorrow and just be without a camera for a while. :D

Any thoughts appreciated !

I suppose you have to ask yourself what the MK III won't do for you now that you hope the MK IV will.

Well, they DID release the 5Ds and 5D SR model, the 50-MP powerhouses....why do Canonites conveniently ignore that camera model so often?:048:

I think it's possible that Canon might release a 5D IV this summer. Maybe to counter a new camera that Nikon announces. I dunno...the entire 5D line of classic, II, and III premiered right around $3499, dating all the way back to the original model. Late in life, Canon chops a grand or more off the price, sometimes throws in a printer, and so on. Right now the 5D Mark III is a good value, but it **is** now an old-ish camera, and the Nikon D750 does what the 5D III does, better, for less money, with a better sensor. I think Canon needs a new pro-lite body to repel the D750.

The new A7 II...looks like they finally got most of the kinks out. Not sure what the focus speed in good light is on fast subjects. With manual focus and an adapter...ehhhh....

You could be correct; Canon might NOT continue the 5D series into a Mark IV...they could go to an eight, or a nine series. And the 6D Mark II--they desperately need a lower-cost, yet high-spec camera to compete with Nikon's D610 and D750 bodies for the segment that shoots 'seriously' enough to warrant buying expensive full-frame lenses like 24-70,70-200 + 85mm "kits" for weddings, etc.. The 6D's single cross-type AF point is a feature-list buzz-kill. The 6D is just way too bare-bones to be exciting I think, to the kind of people who WANT a FF Canon...

Me? If you have a three-zoom trinity, just buy a 5D-III and skip the Sony.

I suppose you have to ask yourself what the MK III won't do for you now that you hope the MK IV will.

Great question and thanks for responding. Guess I can't really know that until I see what IV has to offer. Last 3 years I lived with II while everyone around me went to III, I'd rather not be a generation behind this time around again! lol

I realize III is a hell of a camera and I'm sure I'd love it.

Last edited:
Me? If you have a three-zoom trinity, just buy a 5D-III and skip the Sony.

Thanks for a great post, Derrel! All valid points. Another upside to III would be a smaller learning curve, familiar territory, etc. Sony does seem like it would be an experiment I could potentially regret later, but the specs on that camera are pretty insane! Thanks again.

Well, they DID release the 5Ds and 5D SR model, the 50-MP powerhouses....why do Canonites conveniently ignore that camera model so often?:048:

Great point. It is odd that everyone seems to be yearning for a MK IV yet the 5D S/SR models go unnoticed.:confused-55:

Great point. It is odd that everyone seems to be yearning for a MK IV yet the 5D S/SR models go unnoticed.:confused-55:

My understanding is that these cameras are for photographers who shoot for huge posters and prints, otherwise III is supposed to be just as good. 99.9% of everything I do is online.

Hi guys,

Any thoughts appreciated !

I think it's possible that Canon might release a 5D IV this summer. Maybe to counter a new camera that Nikon announces. I dunno...the entire 5D line of classic, II, and III premiered right around $3499, dating all the way back to the original model. Late in life, Canon chops a grand or more off the price, sometimes throws in a printer, and so on. .
Like this deal? Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera and PIXMA PRO-100 Printer Kit LOL
$2149 after rebate with the pro-100 printer, 13x19 paper and some other swag. Should be able to sell the printer for $150 and the OP just saved himself another $500.. I would imagine Canon will release the 1dX2 first, then maybe the 5DX(as rumors call it) in the early winter.. But just a guess..

I'd wait a few weeks until real world users got to use the Sony with Canon lenses and see if it did what I wanted.

If yes then I'd go for the Sony, if not I'd pick a Canon that suits

It might be a good idea to let this one percolate up from beneath the limestone...maybe go without for a couple of weeks, like you said. This might be a bigger decision that 'we' are making it...maybe you really do not want to be with Canon, for some reason that's not apparently clear by your writing, but perhaps which will come to you in time.

Just thinking out loud, on-line.

If you wants to spend 3000 + on a camera, but have doubts, no harm in doing a little more comparisons. It be bit of a pain spending this money on a Sony or Canon and being disappointed. To be fair a 5d3 is fab, but the Sony is kind of very hyped. It's specs are taking the limelight. In a while when the honeymoon period between new a7r2 and its new lovers is over, you'll get a much more balanced idea of how good it actually is

Another issue a buddy of mine brought up is even if IV gets announced soon, it might still be months before they start shipping, leaving me without a camera for longer than I'd want to.

It might be a good idea to let this one percolate up from beneath the limestone...maybe go without for a couple of weeks, like you said. This might be a bigger decision that 'we' are making it...maybe you really do not want to be with Canon, for some reason that's not apparently clear by your writing, but perhaps which will come to you in time.
I don't have strong feelings towards one brand or another, not a diehard by any means. I have all Canon lenses and have had Canon DSLRs for a decade. Switching to a different platform while exciting could potentially be a bad choice, specially to something so different and new as the a7R II.

I suppose I could order it and play with it for a week, then decide to keep it or not. That's one option...

I'd skip the Sony. Mostly because they are releasing versions like crazy and next year when the A7RIII comes out you'll be wanting that one.

I would also have to agree what must above, wait. So a few reasons why people don't think able the 5Ds is the way is was marketed and some of the specs:
5.0fps vs. 6.0fps in the 5D3 - not really an issue unless you are shooting sports
Native ISO 100-6400 vs. 100-25600 giving the edge to the 5D3 in low light but for the most part in low light and good glass (like you have) not a big issue.

A few things to think about if you happen to try or buy the A7II DON'T cheep out on the adapter buy a Medabones.

For first time in I don't even remember how long I'm without a camera. II got sold last night, $900. I'm leaning towards ordering the III instead of Sony. That BandH deal brings the price of the camera after rebate to $2149, I have about $50 credit with them, so 2,100. Shipping is free and no tax. If I can sell that printer quickly even better.

Thanks everyone for the input ! You guys were very helpful. Now keep fingers crossed for no huge announcement from Canon in the near future! lol

Most reactions

Back