TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.atgancarzphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there after Christmas.
I hope everyone had good time.
I managed to raise some money towards new lens for my D90 I have.
I'm looking for something up to £250-£300
Lenses I'm considering and likes and dislikes:

1. 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 nikkor
I like mainly built quality

2. 18-105mm VR (D90 kit lens)
I wilh it had the same boult quality as 18-70mm
Do you know if this lens has manual focus override?

3. tamron 17-50mm f2.8
I like it sharpness and f2.8

Could you help me make my mind up please? I want to buy something decent.
I wish I had £1000 to get nikkor 24-70mm f2.8. This would sort me out for loooong time :mrgreen:

Thanks for any help

Save up longer and get the 16-85.

#2 does have a manual focus switch on it yes.

Hi
I'm not talking about switch between manual and auto on lens itlesf but I know when you have AF on with 18-70mm and you want to make some changes about focusing only thing you need to do is turn focusing ring and it will override AF instantly. When you look on the switch for focus mode on the lens you will se description A/M - M. My concern is that 18-105 has only A-M and that's the point.
I hope you understand what I'm talking about :)

Thanks
Tom

Sigma 24-60 F/2.8 or the 24-70 F/2.8.

I'm sure the 16-85 is a fine lens. However, the Sigmas are: cheaper, faster, more solidly built and generally more well regarded. I would much rather have a faster lens, than the overhyped (although not useless in its own right) VR.

The Tamron is by far the best you have listed, competing fairly with the $1500 Nikkor 17-55. The Sigma 18-50 F2.8 HSM is supposedly better, cheaper, and has Hypersonic focusing capabilities. That would be my first choice.

ANDS recommended the 24-70 F2.8, which is a fine lens. However, the 24-70 is meant for full frame bodies, which the D90 is not. The equivalents will produce some odd focal lengths, and IMO the 18-50 or the 17-50 will suit you better.

The Sigmas are fine on non FX cameras. If an individual wants to go wider or longer, buy a dedicated wide/tele lens. 24 to 60/70 is more than sufficient. If you have extra scratch and you want to go for a DX only lens, the 18-50 is a fine choice.

The Sigmas are fine on non FX cameras. If an individual wants to go wider or longer, buy a dedicated wide/tele lens. 24 to 60/70 is more than sufficient. If you have extra scratch and you want to go for a DX only lens, the 18-50 is a fine choice.

You're right, but 24mm is equivalent to 36mm I think? I just don't think that would be wide enough for a walkaround lens. But if he has no interest in doing landscapes, then you're right, a 24-70 would work great.

I have a dedicated wide angle. But push comes to shove, I don't mind rolling at 24 on some shots.

Most reactions

Back