walk around lens

For people to recommend a lens you need to answer at least those 3 questions:

What is your camera?
What is your budget?
What do you want to shoot with the lens?

I think "walk around lens" answers question 3. The 70-300mm Sigma is not a walk around lens. With a minimum 70mm focal length, it will be hard to take pictures of people because you will have to be so far away from them. I find it is better to start looking for something with the shortest focal length you will need, then spend as much money as it takes to get amount of zoom you want, and the widest aperature you can afford.
If you are shooting Canon or Nikon, the new ideal walk around lens to leave on the camera full time is probably the Tokina 18-270mm, you get everything from wide angle to a long telephoto in one package. There is a good review on it here:
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15/

Again, if you want a sharper lens, or a wider aperature, you are going to spend more (lots more probably) but you need to decide which lens meets your needs.

I love the 35 f/1.4 as a walk around lens. But then again, that's just a matter of what you are looking for in a lens.

I use this lens when I'm trying to shoot wildlife and a nifty-fifty for every thing else.

Without knowing your camera make its hard to give specific advice - though most brands have or have access to an 18-200 ish lens. They are not generaly super fast, but they do offer a good walkabout focal range even from a crop sensor camera - though they tend to be softer lenses than some, due to the large focal length change, they are decent for a single walkaround lens.

Myself I have been wanting a canon 24-105mm f4 L lens - fast, L quality and a shorter focal range, but far far sharper - and far more expensive. Its not as long as some but would definatly do for being out with friends or family but it really depends what sort of walking about you do.
For wildlife a 70-300mm zoom would be far better - there are also the sigma super zooms (50-500mm, 150-500mm) and lenses like the canon 100-400mm (if your a canon shooter). Of course these lenses are too long generally for closer stuff and when I has 70mm as my shortest length whilst on holiday once it was a pain since so many shots had to be passed by - you just don't always have the room or time to move back

24-105 f/4 canon L

Enough said.

Hard to beat the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS. In the Popular Photography tests, it rates better than the similar Canon and Nikon lenses[FONT=&quot].

[/FONT]

Hard to beat the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS. In the Popular Photography tests, it rates better than the similar Canon and Nikon lenses[FONT=&quot].

[/FONT]
I have it and I think it's a really good 'walk around' lens. I see a little bit of vignetting at the extremes, but this is not a big deal.

the only two issues I have with it at:
- you need to disable the AF in order to focus manually; On my Nikkor 18-70, I can simply grab the focus ring
- the lens will move by itself when you point the camera down, forcing you to always lock it. from my newbie knowledge I think that's what is referred to as lens creep: that sucks :)

Even with these issues, I'd buy it again.

You will have to give us some information on what interests you photographically ... or are you asking what is the best single lens to shoot everything?

My walk-around lens is a 50mm f2.8 Macro ... but that is what suits my interests.

I (heart) my Sigma 18-200mm OS. It lives on my camera.

when you say "one that can be attached to the camera for long periods of time", what do you mean?

is it a bad thing to keep your lens on all the time? usually when im done shooting i just put my camera in my bag with the lens still on.

One of the newer 24-70 f2.8's ought to do it for you. Of course, that's for full frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back