Walking around in a zoo

doenoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.daanschouwe.nl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do you guys and galls walk around in a zoo or something similair too that. Im planning on going to a zoo (Blijdorp in Rotterdam) coming sunday and i was wondering how im gonna carry the stuff. I need my tripod, camera and camera bag with an xtra lens in it. My plan it to attach the camera to the tripod and walk around like that.............but i think i read somewhere that that isnt a good idea. The tripod legs wont be extended when walking around though.
So..........how do you do it?

Well i believe its fine aslong as you hold the camera not the tripod attached.. PLUS! Becareful! I would love to see some of your shots once you get back and all done!!!

on my last visit to a zoo i did'nt take a tripod, the exposures did not require one, besides those animals often don't stay still for long enough to use one, you would be forever panning but then again it all depends on what you are shooting, i think a monopod would be more practical in a place like that, it's easier to carry and set up, i'm afraid the bag and lenses you will have to grin and bear :wink:

I dont take much with me..just my camera and a camera bag napsack. I have never taken a tripod , cause I dont like to be tied down with it. I usually only have a 18 - 55 lens, and a 70-300, and a 2X converter. I also like to go when the zoo opens, so that I dont get bumped into and I can take as long as I want at the animals.
Hope this helps..and I look forward to your pics.

thanks for the replies

im gonna take along a 70-300mm too and since i havent got that that lens for only a week now, alot of my pics have camera shake. Thats why i really need a tripod. Havent got a monopod (yet). I can hope that there will be fences and stuff which i can setup my camera on..................but its just my luck that those are in the wrong places and i cant get a clear shot :er:
I hope i can get some nice shots and im certainly gonna post some here then.

Well I bring along family members that are willing to carry the camera bag if I ask in exchnage for a free lunch :mrgreen: .
I have been to the zoo several times and I have started to leave flash, tripod, filters etc.. all at home, and bring only my 350D, the 70-300 (Best thing I believe.. works like a charm), and I rarely even bring the 17-85, as I need to send it in to get the focusing checked.
As someone already mentioned, if you can at all possible, go when it opens and avoid the crowds. It is extremely frustrating to be trying to shoot over people's heads, or through glass smeared by little hands (even though they make great subjects the odd time as shown below)

As a side note, the only reason I am going to bring a tripod in the future is for going into the 'nocturnal' animals area to take longer exposures, other than that, I see little use. As for the camera shake (similar problem on this end haha), just bump up the ISO. I can barely tell the difference between 100 and 400 with the Rebel XT.

Have fun :D

30198752_ead46865d9.jpg

ok, well i experimented with bumping the ISO and i think that will work. And a good thing you mentioned the babystroller Maxxum, cause my brother and his wife are going to. And they just had a kid...........so room for me to put the tripod in. Oh life looks really good at this point :)
There will be a big aquarium there with a tube where you can walk through. Most likely need a tripod there.
Anyways, thanks for the suggestions :thumbup:

Hello,

Just as an aside, you might find it a good idea to check that the zoo allows the use of a tripod, especially in a confined space like the aquarium tube. For "insurance" reasons, many institutions do not allow the erection of a tripod without permission in advance.

Regards

F. Duddy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back