Walkway

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Reservist, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Reservist

Reservist TPF Noob!

Here is a walkway into an office building, I had to crop it down, not too sure if I like the woman walking away, maybe I'll try a shoot with no one in the walkway

[​IMG]

2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

If you are not sure if you like the woman being there or not then you don't like her being there. Try to focus on what it was about the scene that made you want to take the picture in the first place. What was it you were trying to capture? The mood? The light? The feel?
    Whatever it was, the woman wasn't part of it - or if she was you got her in the wrong place.
    She adds nothing to the shot so I would reshoot - and try and get the verticals vertical.

3. Reservist

Reservist TPF Noob!

you are right about the woman, the pic seems crooked, BUT if you were to put a level on the colums going up to the archs, they actually lean forward,
    maybe a different angle, with early morning lighting

4. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

I think the shot might be cleaner without the woman in it, from what I can see you were trying to capture the architecture and she distracts from it. I see what you mean about it not being level, maybe another round of shots would be best for you if you don't like the way this one turned out

5. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I would suggest a reshoot as well. Try using a tripod so that the photo is level as it seems to be leaning right now. The crop as it is now is also strange...when you reshoot, try to crop how you would through the viewfinder...then if more cropping is needing in PS you always can. Also you might try black and white to really capture the detail.

6. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

if you're going for an architectural feel include more of the arch and walkway and work on your verticals. if verticals are a problem straighten the darn thing out in ps with the distort option. how 'bout a shot of the whole structure...is it architecturally significant? all seriousness aside, if you can't get any of what has been suggested, get the woman back in close cropped with her posing against a column, leg bent foot on column, head back, fingers in hair...you know the drill we'll critique anything.:wink:

7. Reservist

Reservist TPF Noob!

thanks for the advise, the rest of the pic show the construction going on (left hand side) I'll try again

8. Mike Jordan

Mike Jordan TPF Noob!

I think the woman walking towards the camera or jsut standing would have worked better. I also think that you do need a person in the picture to give it scale. With out the person, the eyes have nothing to focus on and will bounce back and forth. Use the lines in the walk way to lead the eyes to the person and have something on the left (a column or wall) to add to the frame of the wall on the right. Other wise the eyes just kind of fall off to the left. And I agree about it not appearing to be straight. If this is the real angle of the columns and wall, then you need something that is straight to show this. Other wise we are all leaning to the left to try and get a straight picture. :D

I can see the potential here and why it drew you to take a picture. So keep trying.

Mike

9. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I love it!!! To me; the women in the frame adds strong interest. I also enjoy the skewed angle.

I (generally) like strong lines leveled. I (generally) dislike vertical shots. This shot transcends both those ideas.

10. Reservist

Reservist TPF Noob!

Now I am thinking I should not have cropped it?

here is the entire pic before edititng,

[​IMG]

11. Mike Jordan

Mike Jordan TPF Noob!

Much better with the left side. Now crop it just past the dark window on the left to get rid most of the dark area and I think that will work even better. You wills till have the columns on the left to help frame it in but the dark area won't be over powering.

Mike