Wall picture with backlight

dcmoser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Grandfather had an aerial picture of his Michigan tree farm and he had someone transform it into a, roughly 14" X 24" wall hanging picture. However the frame was maybe a couple inches deep and was backlit. He would plug the frame into a wall socket and a light between the picture and the rear of the frame made the pic look as if it were on a slide screen or such. The picture was fairly transparent and was a cool sight to behold. He had it made probably 50 years ago. Where would I start to have a picture done in this manner? I searched the web but wasn't certain exactly what to type into the search window as I don't know what this process is called. I typed in 'backlit pictures' but results were photo tips for - duh - providing backlight in taking pictures. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Do a search for DuraTrans. Most pro labs can do it, but it's not cheap.

I too am looking for a light to go behind some pictures painted on glass. But also have discovered that some photos I took and blew up have a certain amount of transparency. Currently they sit in the windowsill of a couple windows in my living room and the natural light shines through giving the appearance of a slide film.

Most reactions

Back