wall shot with window.. C & C please .. ps im kinda new

austriker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dlindahlphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey so i like this shot. i think i captured rule of thirds well.. is it too basic? please feel free to be harsh, i need advice and im kinda new (had a d40 for about 1 month)

3006913067_84d6998236.jpg

Not too basic at all, however if you have access to Photoshop, PaintShop Pro or similar, I would suggest a perspective correction so that it appears as if the image was square and level with the lens axis. Right now it rises toward image left, and appears to lean backward toward the top of the image.

How I wish my ancient old version of Photoshop had perspective correction. Wide angle shots of mine look like this, too, and I cannot do anything about it...

The idea is good, and simplicity in compositions often helps to really bring out the subject. The texture of the bricks looks good, as does that of the neglected window frame.

i think i captured rule of thirds well..

I'd say you did the exact opposite. The right side of the frame is the window, the left side is the empty wall and there is a clear divide there.

However, I'd say this is one example when not following the rule works, and actually makes the shot more striking. I'm just pointing this out to help you better understand the rule.

make the window level, change the photo to black and white, -8brightness +8 contrast. I'd try that out but im at work

How I wish my ancient old version of Photoshop had perspective correction. Wide angle shots of mine look like this, too, and I cannot do anything about it...

The idea is good, and simplicity in compositions often helps to really bring out the subject. The texture of the bricks looks good, as does that of the neglected window frame.

If Photoshop CS4 is too expensive, try PaintShop Pro X2 Ultimate at $100 or less. It has both perspective distortion and lens distortion correction.

skieur

I'd say you did the exact opposite. The right side of the frame is the window, the left side is the empty wall and there is a clear divide there.

However, I'd say this is one example when not following the rule works, and actually makes the shot more striking. I'm just pointing this out to help you better understand the rule.

I hate to admit this, I REALLY do. Because it makes me feel SOOOOOO stupid, but I have the hardest time understanding the rule of thirds. I've read about it, I've even seen examples of it. It just makes me even more confused.
:lol:

Did you try GIMP? It has a function of Lens Distortion correction. And as you know already, it is free.

http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-lens-distortion.html

I like the pic as well.. But there seems to be a guy in the window, or at least a shadow of a guy...

excellent feedback everyone.. thanks i appreciate it

to those who are recommending editing it: i am sorry but unfortunately all i have is iPhoto.. yea its pretty pathetic, but i am a poor college student (rules out PS) and i really want to make my photos great before i start post-processing them a lot (and hence to gimp work yet). (also i plan to take intro to photoshop next year...). but i can change the brightness and contrast and switch it to B&W which i will try later this weekend..

i really thought i understood rule of thirds well until your statement. i thought you basically cut the shot with two horizontal and vertical lines and place the subject at where they meet.. how have i misunderstood this?

Most reactions

Back