Wandering around Indonesia

On a slightly brighter note (and in the spirit of communism and/or religion), it's Ramadan at the moment (Muslim holy month) so many more people than usual are engaged in charity work.
Big business often do a little something as in this case.
The bags contain a couple of KG of rice, some cooking oil and various other bits and pieces.
This company sells them to the villagers at Rp25,000 (about $2.5), far below retail price.
The residents have to give in the voucher and you get the voucher from the local official by showing him/her your ID card.
Each area has a village head and local officials working for him that take care of their few streets.
Many still wear the Surhato era uniforms but that's falling out of favour in many places.

9381069028_5726f1c41e_z.jpg

9378295355_f24e1a978b_z.jpg

9381075106_f821583b07_z.jpg

9381062250_bb205bce49_z.jpg

Most of the time, I try to keep the sun to my back (if possible), point and pray.
I'm pretty sure many could be improved with editing or colour correction but I just don't have the time (or the inclination) at the moment.
The thread has been running for several years and has a lot of views so I'll just march along in my own merry way and use my usual expletives later if I've mega cocked up.

I don't know if this thread is interesting to users of this forum but, if you guys don't care for it, I'll stop posting. :)

No, don't stop posting. I find it far more interesting than most of the street threads on this forum.

People in England commonly take their dogs for a walk but this is Indonesia.

9381123254_3e19620cf2_z.jpg

Four kids on a bike. Traffic laws are a bit of a joke out here.

9381129644_d36ff85348_z.jpg

Most of the time, I try to keep the sun to my back (if possible), point and pray.
I'm pretty sure many could be improved with editing or colour correction but I just don't have the time (or the inclination) at the moment.
The thread has been running for several years and has a lot of views so I'll just march along in my own merry way and use my usual expletives later if I've mega cocked up.

I don't know if this thread is interesting to users of this forum but, if you guys don't care for it, I'll stop posting. :)

No, don't stop posting. I find it far more interesting than most of the street threads on this forum.

OK, I'll just plod along with it.
No problem to do as I just C+P new posts from the original thread on another forum. I started some years ago when I was asked about Indonesia and it seemed to get popular so I carried on.

This guy is not young but will probably work until he either drops or simply can't any more.
Far too poor to afford any sort of pension so that'll be the plan for what's left of his life.

9401524056_5c23e13578_z.jpg

These kids will have about the same to look forward to.

9398742835_4a56a91a58_z.jpg

Yep, he did ride it on the road.

9401491312_7976b170ed_z.jpg

Some of these are definitely interesting, but as The_Traveler mentioned, could use a bit of polishing. (he has also photographed many places around the world) You may say now that you dont have the time or inclination to do any processing work on your photos, but once you learn how, it can be very exciting to see the improvements you can make to your photography. Even pics for my donation threads, that i take on a point and shoot camera, go through lightroot. Its force of habit for me now.

Aside from actual post processing work, there are other ways to improve your photography that will glean noticeable results, like better composition.
The_Traveler has been doing street photography around the world for many many years now, and in my opinion, is one of the forums best. He has a great eye for composition. If you are truly set on staying away from post processing for now, i would suggest at least picking his brain for compositional suggestions.

looking forward to seeing more from this part of the world.

I'm always open to ideas but some have to be dismissed for a variety of reasons.
At the moment; I have a load of work to do and that's been the case for a few months and will continue to be so for a couple more.
That means little pleasures such as forum posting has to take a back seat for a while as will any chance of serious editing of much.
Posting raw photos isn't so hard as I can upload whist I'm doing something else and actually writing the post doesn't take long as comments are usually short and sweet but messing with them takes ages and this is purely a hobby whist the other thing keeps me in digestive biscuits and coca cola.
Oh, a a roof over my head so my wife doesn't have to sleep in a rubbish cart as the family above does.

Oh, yes. composition.
Most shots are 'as they happen' with no hope of setting anything up.
However, some are less rushed so there's more chance to do something about them as far as
composition goes.
I'll read up more when I get a spare moment and see if I can pop some of the ideas into the snaps.

Oh, yes. composition.
However, some are less rushed so there's more chance to do something about them as far as composition goes.
I'll read up more when I get a spare moment and see if I can pop some of the ideas into the snaps.

Composition isnt just about "setting up the shot", and doesn't always involve anything more than a quick look to see what angle will look best, or what background will be better. Sometimes its just a matter of a slight change in camera angle, moving a little to the side, or moving a little forwards or backwards before taking the shot.

Give a man a fish.....

This guy learnt a little something from beavers. He build a dam across the river then set his net up in the only place the fish could pass.

9433241719_669e6380db_z.jpg

9433287017_f4c38f2a29_z.jpg

I've seen a lot of things sold from bikes but this is the first time I recall seeing a letter box salesman using one.

9433269091_98c6156866_z.jpg

9436029300_7a6a2d5fdb_z.jpg

Oh, yes. composition.
However, some are less rushed so there's more chance to do something about them as far as composition goes.

Composition isnt just about "setting up the shot", and doesn't always involve anything more than a quick look to see what angle will look best, or what background will be better. Sometimes its just a matter of a slight change in camera angle, moving a little to the side, or moving a little forwards or backwards before taking the shot.

I have to agree and I try to do so where possible but street shots often make that impossible as a moving target is hard work so I commonly point and pray (at my prey).

A man with a smartphone camera.

9436187386_4717c64fdc_z.jpg

a less than smart man with a phone.

9436216982_0eaf6acb9c_z.jpg

A policeman without a phone

9433399757_0387da03d4_z.jpg

but the traffic cops carry guns so it's better not to get ratty with them.

9436227868_d6196dcd14_z.jpg

A car that was being driven by the less than smart man who was being questioned by the policeman without a phone and being photographed with a smartphone.

9436203396_94f31e4fdf_z.jpg

Assuming the man with the smartphone was correct (he was the landscaper that has to replace the tree), the man's insurance will cover the car but may not cover damage to the tree so he may have to shell out for that out of his own pocket.

These guys look tyred.

9436349162_d52666b41d_z.jpg

This guy is really old and tired so begging is about all that's left for him.

9436339608_b9629edf64_z.jpg

This forum is really handy.
I may not post all that much but I read threads as time allows and I'm picking up a load of tips.
My camera wasn't working properly on full HD, reporting a write error but a new SDHC high speed memory card has that problem sorted.
I often take video but I can't post it as upload speeds are far too slow.

A famous pop star......or, judging by his lack of large car and hoards of screaming fans, maybe not.

9440800107_ed34e0de98_z.jpg

Most reactions

Back