Wandering on the breakwater...

slacker(jedi)

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
a couple shots i took while moseying around on the waterfront the other day.

breakwater16.jpg

breakwater4.jpg

breakwater5.jpg

tell me what yah think!

I really like the last one. The jogger really makes the shot. I think it would also work if most or all of the watter was cropped out. Leaving just the horizon, people, sky & clouds. But it's pretty good as is.

Nice work.

Big Mike said:
I think it would also work if most or all of the watter was cropped out. Leaving just the horizon, people, sky & clouds.
yeah, I thought so too. I tried it though, and didn't like it.

This is one of the few times where a split horizon actually works for me. It draws my attention to the horizon line, which is normally a distraction, but here it leads me to the runner.

I'd probably take out that second figure, just so the jogger could be alone.

Damn cool pic!

slacker(jedi) said:
Big Mike said:
I think it would also work if most or all of the watter was cropped out. Leaving just the horizon, people, sky & clouds.
yeah, I thought so too. I tried it though, and didn't like it.

I like it cropped right at the water line, the standing figure removed, and burning in the stuff at the left so it blends in with the black.

breakwater6.jpg

mmm, that is kinda nice.

kinda feels like there's something missing tho. i think (for me) this crop needs a more spectacular sky, or something else. i'll go try this again when the mountains are clear...

here's another like that. do you think the lensflare detracts from it?

breakwater7.jpg

Yes, I love the cropped version. Maybe it could use something to liven up the open sky area...like a NIKE swoosh. I could see this as a full page ad in Sports Illustrated.

The new one, ya, the lens flare bothers me as well as the curved horizon (probably from barrel distortion).

Big Mike said:
(probably from barrel distortion).
actually, that one's from a slightly different angle... i think that COULD be the shape of the breakwater you're seeing there...

thanks all for the useful and encouraging replies!

Guess I'm the odd one out but I really like the first one.

I like the uncropped version. It fills your eyes, and the jogger is so striking!!

Neat work!!!

My fave is the 1st one, cropped to just above the bottom stone to make it kinda square. Getting the "clutter" out of the foreground really makes this a nice shot.

I like the cropped version of the last one also.

drlynn said:
My fave is the 1st one, cropped to just above the bottom stone to make it kinda square. Getting the "clutter" out of the foreground really makes this a nice shot.
my favourite part of that one was the foreground. i think i took some more with nicer backgrounds, and no foreground. i liked how you could see through the water

no comments on the second one huh? i guess it's kinda unoriginal, but i loved the colours and shapes. The building is sorta pink... looked cool against blue sky and clouds

Well, since you're asking, Jedi, let me "pipe up" on these now, too.
It's not that I had not looked at them yesterday, which I have. And I was thinking my thoughts...

As to the second, I like the clear blue of the sky and the angles of the building, indeed, but there is a little too much clear blue sky in the photo for my liking. If there's any that does BETTER with a crop, it is this one. My opinion.

I agree with you about the first of your three photos and the stones in the foreground under the very clear water. I'd feel pity to see those go. I quite like them, too.

Since we only get to see these photos on our screens, we can - sort of - "crop" them by scrolling and let parts disappear at the top or bottom of the screen. I do this with upright pictures every now and again and have therefore also thus "played" with the most discussed photo of the three, the last one. And I was playfully considering the option of cropping the TOP, i.e. leaving only the silhouettes of the people (one of them or both...) and the water with the reflection of the sky...

OK, no real critique, just some letting you in on how I "played around" with these pictures...

Most reactions

Back