Wanna Make $100,000 a year?

The job market is changing faster today than it ever has, making it a crap shoot to pick a college major that will have long term traction traction.
Young people should expect to go to college 2 or 3 times and have 5 or more 'careers'.

Young people could be facing a life of constantly being burdened with lots of education debt.

There are jobs that 1. need no degree and 2. you will not have to change you career path 5 or 6 times and still make good money.

Every one wants clean water coming into their house so plumbers aren't going anywhere.

People want the crap, literally their crap gone from their house so septic and sewer works aren't going anywhere.

People want heat in the winter and cool in the summer so HVAC technicians aren't going anywhere.

People want their lights to turn on and off with out burning the house down. Electricians aren't going anywhere.

They may not be glamorous jobs but if you have had to call any of the above recently you know that they are making good money. The need for college will recede in the future as we are more and more becoming a service driven society.
Robots are already taking over many service jobs. There are even robotic surgery suites in some hospitals, so even surgeons can be replaced by robots.

Plumbers, electricians, HVAC techs are all going to lose their jobs to robots in the not distant future.
Those systems will be designed by robots to facilitate the use of robots to install and repair them.
For a short time humans will still be needed to repair the older systems still in use, but robots will quickly be able to repair even those systems.

So the real question becomes - As robots proliferate, how will people make enough money to live?
Well I doubt that either you or I will live to see this happen. I have had two surgeries in the "robotic surgery" suites. Surgeons are not going anywhere, well except to the chair to operate the robot. The surgeon still performs the surgery, they are however assisted by the robotic machine the surgeon operates. The robotic machine can be more precise in it's movements than the human hands. It still takes 2 surgeons to conduct the operation as well as the anesthesiologist, and surgical nurses.

I seriously doubt we will see robotic HVAC, electrical or plumber robots coming to our homes. The robots used in all of those professions are assembly robots. They can perform the same repetitive movement faster and more accurately than humans and don't need bathroom breaks, lunch breaks or 8 hour work days. They still need humans to program their operations. Rosie from the Jetsons is still just a TV cartoon.

Looks like this thread is............................

not-dead-yet.jpg

Most reactions

Back