Wanna rice out your D300?

:lol: Please. "Ricer" is not, at all, a racist term. You even said yourself that it's a description of a car; race has nothing to do with a vehicle.

And "jap crap" was just description of japanese electronics, so perhaps I should start refering to my cameras as such.

"Ricer" is a derogatory description based upon stereotypes of the culture of the people who made/drive such vehicles.

It's the same as if you called a low-rider driven by hispanics a "taco wagon," or a blinged out escalade driven by black teenagers a "fried chicken mobile."

Sometimes we don't think about how others may take what we say--I'm not claiming that the people that propagate the descriptions are racist, but they are ignorant to how some people may be offended by such terms that were first coined by racists.

It's the same as if you called a low-rider driven by hispanics a "taco wagon," or a blinged out escalade driven by black teenagers a "fried chicken mobile."

Are you saying it is more about the driver? If so I believe your assertion is flawed, as an American car with a Caucasian American driver can also be(and often is) called "rice". Having cut my teeth on muscle cars years ago I can certainly say I have experience in this area(no, my modifications were not appearance-based).

Just happens that the import-driving individuals started the movement of appearance modifications(and generally it referrs to hideous ones, not tasteful ones that actually make the car look nice). The term had to be coined somewhere and for some reason. That doesn't necessarily mean the people who invented the definition had racist motivations.

ROFL *sigh*. I'm done here; not worth it. djacobox, it's a shame that you take personal offense to the term "ricer."

no woodgrain for me please. The only thing worse than real woodgrain is plastic woodgrain.

Maybe I'll take some of the fake wood grain off the dash of my '78 Civic wagon and slap it on my camera! It's peeling and have gone anyways! I'm Asian, I don't take offense to the term "ricer" since after all it's just a term.

Most reactions

Back