Wanna start doing Art & Wine Festivals

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by CraniumDesigns, May 27, 2010.

1. CraniumDesigns

CraniumDesigns TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey Folks,

I wanna start selling prints at Art & Wine festivals. What do I need to do/have to start? Currently I just sell my prints online at my website, but I'm willing to try renting a spot, setting up a tent, and selling my prints. Thanks!

2. HikinMike

HikinMike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. CraniumDesigns

CraniumDesigns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sweet. thanks. i have a $100 gift card to amazon. can i get anything there? the canopies through amazon seem like crap quality. how much is a decent 10x10 white canopie with 3 sidewalls from caravan?

4. CraniumDesigns

CraniumDesigns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    also, what are you using to hang up your prints on the canopy? and how big are those tables?

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that a good strategy is to have large/impressive prints on display. For Example, Mike up there has several framed & matted prints.
    These are what grab people's attention.

They may not want to spend a whole lot (and you should charge a lot for a large framed print) so you then offer smaller, less expensive versions of the photo they love. Maybe 8x10 with a matte, or even post card sized etc.

If you don't do your own high quality frames & mattes, then you might want to get in good with a frame shop and work a deal where someone buys the print from you which includes framing.
    I know a photographer who sends the client to the frame shop, so they can pick the frame & matte that will look good in their home, he then picks up the finished product and delivers it to them.
    I think this is a much harder sell though, especially for something at a fair or festival...cash & carry is a much easier sell.

6. CraniumDesigns

CraniumDesigns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, i plan to pick my top 5-10 photos, mat and frame those at 20x30 sizes, hang those up, and sell matted 8x10's, 11x14's, and 16x20's. perhaps greeting cards too. i've heard those sell well. i'd like to do a setup like his, but it looks like the initial investment will be around $1500. how long do u think it would take to recoup that?

also, do i need a business license? how does all the legal stuff work?

7. inov8ter

inov8ter TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know for sure, but I would call up your city's chamber of commerce or something to that affect. I am sure that they can help and point you in the right direction.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some might make that up in one event, others might never make that much. Too many variables to know for sure.

What I have heard, from those who do this sort of thing, is that it usually takes a several events (including the same event year after year) until you really know what works best. An Art & Wine festival certainly sounds like the right place to be, but are those people looking to spend money on art, or just look at art and taste some wine?
    It would be a good idea to consult someone who would know for sure...maybe your city/town's business office but an accountant would be the best choice.

9. CraniumDesigns

CraniumDesigns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, i am friends with a guy who makes good money doing it. he's quitting after this year, so kinda showing me how to get started. how to present it, pricing, etc... gonna visit his booth at a festival next weekend, take pics, and learn.

10. CraniumDesigns

CraniumDesigns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What do you think of this layout for a 10x10 booth? It allows for a small horeshoe path, will have 8 prints hanging, and 2 laptops. One for ordering online from my website (tethered to my phone for internet) and one for doing a slideshow of my shots. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

11. HikinMike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's been a few years, but I think I paid $200 for the canopy. The 3-wall set up was through 'Flouish.com'....about $600 or more. Like I said, pricey but well worth it IMO.

The walls attach to the canopy with metal poles/hangers (provided). I use 'S' hooks (provided) to hang the framed pictures. Tables are from Home Depot (I think) and measure 6' long.

12. HikinMike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    BTW, I use wicker baskets from Michael's to display my smaller matted prints.