CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Folks,

I wanna start selling prints at Art & Wine festivals. What do I need to do/have to start? Currently I just sell my prints online at my website, but I'm willing to try renting a spot, setting up a tent, and selling my prints. Thanks!

Not sure if you've seen this, I've posted this on other forums....

Prints - Mpix
Greeting Cards - Photograper's Edge
Card Display - Card Display
Mats, Frames, Clear Bags - Documounts
Print Racks - Jerry's Artarama
Canopy (10 x 10) - Caravan
Mesh Walls (pricey, but worth it) - Flourish

Here's my booth:
Booth1.jpg

sweet. thanks. i have a $100 gift card to amazon. can i get anything there? the canopies through amazon seem like crap quality. how much is a decent 10x10 white canopie with 3 sidewalls from caravan?

I think that a good strategy is to have large/impressive prints on display. For Example, Mike up there has several framed & matted prints.
These are what grab people's attention.

They may not want to spend a whole lot (and you should charge a lot for a large framed print) so you then offer smaller, less expensive versions of the photo they love. Maybe 8x10 with a matte, or even post card sized etc.

If you don't do your own high quality frames & mattes, then you might want to get in good with a frame shop and work a deal where someone buys the print from you which includes framing.
I know a photographer who sends the client to the frame shop, so they can pick the frame & matte that will look good in their home, he then picks up the finished product and delivers it to them.
I think this is a much harder sell though, especially for something at a fair or festival...cash & carry is a much easier sell.

yeah, i plan to pick my top 5-10 photos, mat and frame those at 20x30 sizes, hang those up, and sell matted 8x10's, 11x14's, and 16x20's. perhaps greeting cards too. i've heard those sell well. i'd like to do a setup like his, but it looks like the initial investment will be around $1500. how long do u think it would take to recoup that?

also, do i need a business license? how does all the legal stuff work?

yeah, i plan to pick my top 5-10 photos, mat and frame those at 20x30 sizes, hang those up, and sell matted 8x10's, 11x14's, and 16x20's. perhaps greeting cards too. i've heard those sell well. i'd like to do a setup like his, but it looks like the initial investment will be around $1500. how long do u think it would take to recoup that?

I don't know for sure, but I would call up your city's chamber of commerce or something to that affect. I am sure that they can help and point you in the right direction.

how long do u think it would take to recoup that?
Some might make that up in one event, others might never make that much. Too many variables to know for sure.

What I have heard, from those who do this sort of thing, is that it usually takes a several events (including the same event year after year) until you really know what works best. An Art & Wine festival certainly sounds like the right place to be, but are those people looking to spend money on art, or just look at art and taste some wine?
It would be a good idea to consult someone who would know for sure...maybe your city/town's business office but an accountant would be the best choice.

yeah, i am friends with a guy who makes good money doing it. he's quitting after this year, so kinda showing me how to get started. how to present it, pricing, etc... gonna visit his booth at a festival next weekend, take pics, and learn.

What do you think of this layout for a 10x10 booth? It allows for a small horeshoe path, will have 8 prints hanging, and 2 laptops. One for ordering online from my website (tethered to my phone for internet) and one for doing a slideshow of my shots. Thoughts?

booth.gif

sweet. thanks. i have a $100 gift card to amazon. can i get anything there? the canopies through amazon seem like crap quality. how much is a decent 10x10 white canopie with 3 sidewalls from caravan?

It's been a few years, but I think I paid $200 for the canopy. The 3-wall set up was through 'Flouish.com'....about $600 or more. Like I said, pricey but well worth it IMO.

also, what are you using to hang up your prints on the canopy? and how big are those tables?

The walls attach to the canopy with metal poles/hangers (provided). I use 'S' hooks (provided) to hang the framed pictures. Tables are from Home Depot (I think) and measure 6' long.

HikinMike's setup is what always comes to mind when I see such a thread as yours.

Not much to add to what has already been said but I would revise your layout. Put the big prints in the front. They are the ones that impress people and will draw them in.

How long to recoup? Doesn't matter much if you are doing this the right way which means getting into it for the long run.Eventually it will more than pay for itself if you have the right kind of images.

Until recently I lived in Augusta, GA where people made a ton of money selling the crappiest sh*t (including photos) for one week a year. Master's week. If you don't golf (I don't), look it up.

it's a matter of getting the right combo. Images that fit the event, nicely displayed, with the right price. And that right price is usually not the lowest price.

how would i put the big prints up front? that's where people come in. i want to have a good flow of people, so i created the horseshoe shape for them to walk through. maybe i can hang 2 big ones on the outside somewhere?

how would i put the big prints up front? that's where people come in. i want to have a good flow of people, so i created the horseshoe shape for them to walk through. maybe i can hang 2 big ones on the outside somewhere?

FWIW, I was in a wheelchair for over a year. You may have to re-think your set-up. I wouldn't even bother to look at your prints if I couldn't get through your "gallery".

You could buy two easels to hang two of your big prints at the entrance. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back