Want a 2nd Camera got a Question

RandyA

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a D90 and want to get another camera. I want to upgrade and looking at a few different options. Would love to get a d300s, but the cost is a factor at this time. I found a D200 with 26K actuation count mainly used as a back up and in studio type work for $700 and comes with the Nikon Extended Battery Grip with two batteries. I am new into photography and learning everyday. Should I get the D200 or wait to I can afford the d300S?

You are downgrading your image sensor and processor if you go to the D200. The processor and sensor in your D90 are EXACTLY THE SAME as what is in the D300s ... the D200 doesn't have these pieces and would perform worse than your D90 ....

Save the money and go for the D300! You'll probably be happier in the long run.

Why the hell would you want another camera if your new to photography, it aint gonna help you at all.

The D200 wouldn't be an upgrade, ISO wise, but it would be a big upgrade durability wise because the D200 has a metal body and weather sealing and it would be a viable backup camera, IMO.

$700 including a MB-D200 vertical grip and 26K actuations seems a little pricey to me. A year ago D200's were selling brand new with 1 year Nikon warranty for $600 and new MB-D200's were $150. Here you get no warranty and the shutter life has been decreased by 26,000 actuations.

In a recent thread on the forums, a D90 owner had a heavy lens (AF 80-200 f/2.8) mounted on his D90 which was in his backpack type camera bag with the lens hanging down. The weight of the hanging lens and setting the bag down, was enough to pull the small lens mount screws (and the plastic they were screwed into) right out of the body.

That is about a $250, non-warranty, repair.

Last edited:
I had a very similar question and post, as I too have D90 and want a 2nd body for using multiple lens during shoots quickly... I came away with getting a D300 as my best choice. In the mean time I am learning my D90 to it fullest.

I had a very similar question and post, as I too have D90 and want a 2nd body for using multiple lens during shoots quickly... I came away with getting a D300 as my best choice. In the mean time I am learning my D90 to it fullest.
I frequently shoot with 2 bodies. It's way quicker than changing lenses.

Look at sling type straps, instead of shoulder straps. Like the Black Rapid RS line.

Why the hell would you want another camera if your new to photography, it aint gonna help you at all.

Agree... learn the basics with what you have. No need in jumping up to the level of a 300 or 700 if you are not ready for it.

Most reactions

Back