Want a new digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by alexknudsen, Sep 15, 2007.

1. alexknudsen

alexknudsen TPF Noob!

i currently have the canon 300d rebel, Ive had it for about a year (bought it used) I really would like something that was more sturdy and better built, not something plastic if you know what I mean so I really would like to upgrade my camera
    I really do not have a dedication to any brand, If I bought another canon I would upgrade my lens anyways,
    some cameras ive looked into are:
    Nikon D80
    Canon 20D
    Panasonic L1

i have no promlems with buying used either

and I would like to get a good lens with any of these cameras, The wide end is much more important than the telephoto end, I wouldnt need anymore zoom than around 60mm

2. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I can recommend the Nikon D80, but the best thing to do is get really good glass. That has more of an impact on your images than the camera.

I would recommend the AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
    for a new lens.

Thats what i would do anyways.

3. alexknudsen

alexknudsen TPF Noob!

thanks for the input I'll look into that lens

has anyone heard anything about the panasonic?

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would recommend that you stick with Canon, especially if you plan to keep the Rebel that you have now. Lenses only work in the system they were designed for, so any Canon lenses you have or get in the future would work on both cameras. This way, you could use the Rebel as a back up or share it with a friend or spouse.

The Canon 20D is a great camera, and you should be able to find a good deal on a used one. The newer version, the 30D has a few minor upgrades so might be a good choice is the price isn't much higher than a 20D. The next generation in that line is the 40D, which is a significant upgrade in technology.

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had a Canon film SLR and it was a tough decision when the time to go digital came around. I went with the Nikon D80 and haven't looked back. They all take good pictures, but get good glass with whatever you decide on.

6. alexknudsen

alexknudsen TPF Noob!

what about the panasonic, never hear much about this camera I found one used for 1000 with the lens

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Panasonic isn't much of a camera company. When buying a better camera body you're buying a system not a camera. I've seen a few people jump ship from sony because of lack of support (future upgrade path, accessories, etc) from an electronics company trying to produce a high end camera.

I second the 20D/30D/40D option. Also while the D80 has a better build than the 300D IMO it's still got nothing on the three midrange Canons which would be more like the D200 than the D80.

8. Joxby

Joxby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

pffft..

Stick with Canon if you have a nice set of good glass, if not, the camera world is your oyster
    The 20D was a great performer but is dated now and not in the race against D80, and the 30D doesn't match up to a 2 year old D200, so that leaves 40D (which I'm not qualified to comment on) and the actual question which is 30D v D80, read the reviews and decide for yourself, they both have pro's and cons, you can tell its close because you have to read a million reviews, and it'll probably be decided by personal coin tossing or persuasion.
    Dont mention a D80 in the same sentence as a 300D, what....like.....build quality is its only advantage....gimme a break fan boi

9. kittymaguire

kittymaguire TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would recommend the canon D30, it is a good camera. I have been using for about a year now and have not found any problems with it.