Want more reach for birding

Aloicious said:
yeah the AFI was quite a bit slower in AF speed than the AFS versions (which are VERY quick), you might find its limitations there with birds in flight, but its really a great lens, more reach is always better when it comes to birding, like mully said, but with the 2.8, you have alot of options open to you, even a 2x TC can give acceptable results with it, where it wouldn't on most any other lens (besides the 400 2.8 or 200 f2)...the 300 2.8's are really a great option when you take price into account (relative to other fast super teles). I got my 300 2.8 VR1 used fairly recently, and I love it. I do enjoy shooting birds/wildlife when I can, but that's not the main reason I purchased it.

I agree! I do a fair bit of birding and photography and the Nikkor 300 2.8 is one of the best pieces of glass out there...if you require fast AF then you should be looking no further back than 1996 - 2001 as a minimum. Previous ones have good glass just slower AF, only if you need it that is. I also use the 1.4 and the 2X on occasion and even with our club critics they see no real difference. I have the 70-200 2.8 as well but my experience with TC is use them on Primes is fine otherwise forget it, certainly not on the 70-200.

I love the 500 prime too, but a little heavy to cart around. Been investigating a couple of sites that sell carts for carrying around your gear for reasonable dollars.

I agree! I do a fair bit of birding and photography and the Nikkor 300 2.8 is one of the best pieces of glass out there...if you require fast AF then you should be looking no further back than 1996 - 2001 as a minimum. Previous ones have good glass just slower AF, only if you need it that is. I also use the 1.4 and the 2X on occasion and even with our club critics they see no real difference. I have the 70-200 2.8 as well but my experience with TC is use them on Primes is fine otherwise forget it, certainly not on the 70-200.

I love the 500 prime too, but a little heavy to cart around. Been investigating a couple of sites that sell carts for carrying around your gear for reasonable dollars.
which 2x TC are you using? is it the III version? I've been thinking of getting one but I'm a little wary on 2x TC's from past experience with the older versions.

Aloicious said:
which 2x TC are you using? is it the III version? I've been thinking of getting one but I'm a little wary on 2x TC's from past experience with the older versions.

Version III...AF will be affected for sure because because of the lower stops. This comes into play when doing BIF, especially if the light is not optimal AF will be searching more. This goes for any lenses!

One tool that helps for BIF is a Gimbal, I love mine and use it for my 300 2.8 and over. Even on my older 2.8 after hours in the field I do not get the sore arms I used to...working smarter. Set it for the anticipated shot on BF and be ready for some action.

I almost always strive to get as close as I can with reason to get that shot. But in many cases that is not possible...there is just not one solution for everything.

I bring my bino's and study the bird especially if I cannot get a good photo, best of both worlds I guess.

yeah, I know AF speed lowers, I was mainly referring to IQ loss. my 1.7 does pretty well with BIF AF speed and accuracy IQ is pretty good, especially after a slight AF fine tune adjustment. A wimberly head would be nice, I'd like to get one for the 300 when I'm out on the salt flats covering speed week, handholding while panning for a vehicle going 300+mph can get difficult, I just havent bit the bullet with that yet. I haven't had difficulty handholding the 300+TC for wildlife at this point, its not too cumbersome, but something longer like a 500 would likely be alot worse.

No matter what lens you get, you will need to spend hours learning stalking skills. Thom Hogan has some issues with his 200-400 here Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G Lens Review by Thom Hogan But Ray Barlow shoots with it as his only lens and his shots are amazing! Raymond Barlow Wildlife and Nature Photography Tours - Workshops Since you have the means, you probably should get a 500 or 600 F4 if you don't mind lugging around a big heavy lens. 8.5 pounds and 11 pounds respectively. You should probably drop a grand or more on a good tripod and wimberly or jobu head also. If you want to be more mobile, most Nikon people recommend the 300 F4 AF-s with a 1.4tc. I won't mention 3rd party lenses since you seem to be above that caliber :)
So true, skill always trumps equipment. That said I've read Thom Hogans review of the Nikon 200-400mm F4, then I looked at Ray Barlows work using that lens. My conclusion is I have no idea what Hogan is talking about after seeing Barlow's images, do you?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back