Want the same focal length

as much as I tend not to like his videos, I like this one on the subject:

(but his math/explanation is lacking--he should express the difference is aperture is OOF only--he ignores the change in exposure and makes it up with ISO changes.)

as much as I tend not to like his videos, I like this one on the subject:

(but his math/explanation is lacking--he should express the difference is aperture is OOF only--he ignores the change in exposure and makes it up with ISO changes.)

After looking at the link you posted this one came up at the end and it was a little easier to understand I thought,

I bought my D90 at a camera show in San Diego a few years back. The D90 was a few hundred dollars off and the Tamron people were selling the 18/270mm lens at a lower price also so needing to replace my Sony I bought the combo. I haven't regretted the purchase at all. The camera was great as was the lens. There gone now along with a couple of other lenses I picked up along the way. I want to do the FF camera a little differently with smaller lenses even tho knowing it's more work to change lenses back and forth.

I think I remember my 35mm film days as being a little less complicated, or it's just my memory failing.

Im getting a lot of insight from all of you and it's helping me with my decision, Thank You

I think I remember my 35mm film days as being a little less complicated, or it's just my memory failing.
In that era there weren't many smaller-frame film cameras. Most of the time there wasn't any discussion of smaller image sizes when using 35mm film. So everybody knew what focal length lens did what, and that was that.

Simple mathematical conversions don't quite give what you seek. I'd rent what you calculate you want to see if it delivers the results sought.

FOV is the only thing the conversion gets right. DOF and for lack of a better word appearance of the image aren't quite the same even though it calculates to be.

I have been using a lot of manual focus primes on my DX Nikons and find the image is not the same for a zoom at the same focal length. And then there's film in the F5..............

I would not worry about it unless you have to go and take the exact same shot now with FX as you did with DX. Just like you had with DX, with FX you have lens(es) to cover the wide, normal and tele range. Just need to decide what combination of lenes to use to cover that range.

If that 100mm shot on DX was a portrait shot then a 100mm lens on FX will work just as well and zoom with the feet, but if is was a sports shot then you will need a longer lens on FX to fill the frame with the subject as you cannot physically move closer.

This thread is starting to resemble another one I have here D610 or D750 Photography Forum and I've probably driven it there with my questions so I'd like to close this one and just finish my schooling at the Nikon Cameras/ D610 or D750 thread. Thank you, Mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back