Not open for further replies.

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
But I have no idea where to start.

And please, no rude replies..

I think its all word of mouth rez. I find advertising is almost useless unless you put low price (try to avoid that unless you do it for close relatives). Start taking good pictures for people and the word will spread. Having a good website will help to.

LOL Advertising is NOT useless. If thats what it was then people wouldn't spend millions up on millions on advertising.

Reznap, you need good images and you need people to see them. Which = advertising. Get as many people as you can to see your name and if you have good things posted there, you'll automatically get calls.

AND yes, word of mouth is a very good tool but you cannot rely on that as your main marketing tool. Sorry to disagree with Schwetty here.

You will realize it soon enough. I guarantee 95% of your clients is because they saw someone's photo taken by you.

Reznap, facebook is a must! Create a facebook photography page. I guess that counts as an advertisement. I am talking about doing an ad on a local magazine. I think it is not worth the hasle.

You will realize it soon enough. I guarantee 95% of your clients is because they saw someone's photo taken by you.

Reznap, facebook is a must! Create a facebook photography page. I guess that counts as an advertisement. I am talking about doing an ad on a local magazine. I think it is not worth the hasle.

Schwetty I know a lot about marketing. That's what I do with the company I work for. How many clients have you shot so far where they heard you from someone else?

Anyway, reznap, my advice is to tell you to get out there, you need to show your work and have more people see your name. Seeing your name means they will see your work. Anyway its your decision. It's up to you.

But I know what I'm talking about when it comes to marketing.

OK Mo.. you are right... Keep marketing your self K bud? Tell me how it works out.

But I have no idea where to start.

And please, no rude replies..

I thought you were out there already?

Have you put some kind of plan in effect? Do you know what you want to shoot?
Have you starting putting a resume/portfolio together? Would you consider working for someone else?
Have you put some money aside to start this business? I know you have heard all of these questions, I am just putting them in front, because they are so important.
There are a lot more questions, but you can start with those. I am sure Keith has some to add.

Not to scare anyone off, but running a business is so much different than doing a hobby...

Word of mouth becomes important AFTER you become big. Right now, sorry man, you're NOBODY. Most of us here aren't. If we were, we'd be out there making money not hanging out in a beginner section of a forum asking how to make money.

But in the beginning, you have to market yourself effectively. Get your name out there and get the initial customers. From that you will get your name out through word of mouth. But how are you going to get that w/out first advertising yourself to get your initial clients?

The only ones that know how you can make money by taking photos are those willing to pay you. Therefore put an add on Craigslist for your area outlining your skills in an general but accurate fashion. In other words don't lie. Those willing to pay you will let you know. You never know. You might get some lousy offers or you might get some killer assignments. If you are any good at it include post processing services.

A term now a days that may describe this sort of something from nothing is "ultralight startups"
ultralight startup - Google Search

But in the beginning, you have to market yourself effectively. Get your name out there and get the initial customers. From that you will get your name out through word of mouth. But how are you going to get that w/out first advertising yourself to get your initial clients?

I agree with this philosophy.

How does one go about starting this process?
What should a small company put aside to finance this?
What other methods might be effective?

i'd have to agree with MohaimenK advertising will help. but, i also agree with Schwettylens, advertising in a local magazine might not be worth the work and expense involved considering the few number of people who actually read through them these days... when i need to find something, i use google.

but advertising in the right way is important, a solid, easy to navigate website with some of your pictures on there along with your contact info will go a long way to making money as a photographer. and Schwettylens mentioned Facebook, that is a great idea that most people looking to advertise might overlook. but you deninetly need to get a website and get your pictures online for others to see.

with the advancements in technology and more people having access to the internet and the sheer number of people using it(heck, i did this post from my phone) as a resource to find what they need faster and easier, getting online should be your first step in advertising.

website, facebook, word of mouth will most likely be the most effective advertising you can do

I think word of mouth, and advertising (in this case) kind of go hand in hand. You take someones pictures, they like them and tell friends or family. Those people see your work and then want you to take there pictures. The people in a sence are your advertisements.
When we got out engagement pictures done, tons of people loved them, and we reccomend the photographer to anyone who asks.

take pictures of your next family get together, no matter how small. it will give you a chance to take pictures similar to the ones someone might hire you to take for them. you can then post them on your website, and your family can now tell their friends that your a photographer and you might get some work from their friends, and so on

Enter as many photo contests as you can, and the ones you place in will certainly help build your portfolio. I have entered 1 contest and won it. That alone got people asking me if I was for hire.

A Facebook "page" certainly helps as well. You get great feedback from there. My page only has about 310 people, but the people that have inquired about hiring me were following my page.

Business cards....Wonderful. My buddy who works at a very busy bar here said that people are always asking about a photographer and said that he would give them my business cards if I made them.

I have declined all inquiries due to not having the equipment necessary.

I figured more of you would have realized that wasn't a serious thread..

It does fit in nicely with the recent postings here though doesn't it?

Joke went over like a lead balloon though, oh well :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back