Want to start charging...where to start?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by melissaandkris, Jan 28, 2008.

1. melissaandkris

melissaandkris TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have done quite a few shoots for friends and people at church, mostly kids/babies. They have loved them and purchased lots of pictures and enlargements. So far I have done everything for free and just charged them the actual price of pictures. I do PP work on them and usually drive to their house or location of choice. I did not feel right charging in the begining but now that word is getting around that I "take pictures" I feel like to at least cover gas and time I should start charging. Just wondering how people started out. Did you do it by the hour or sitting fee plus pacakges? Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Saint-Brown

Saint-Brown TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is something that I do. I don't charge for sitting fee or charge a session fee. I bassically charge per print. I basically do a mark up on what I would pay for them. I use photoreflect/express digital. but there are others like smugmug and others. It works for me.

3. melissaandkris

melissaandkris TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. I have read multiply cost x3. Shutterfly is 3.99 for an 8x10 making it almost $12.00. Is it just me or does that seem high? I know professionals might not want to post this as it is a public forum so anyone can please PM me if they want or if they have any ideas.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's not high at all...especially if you aren't charging a sitting fee. You can go either way...charge a high sitting fee and have cheap prints...or a low sitting fee and expensive prints.
    Or you can do what I do (an many others)...charge a flat fee and give them the files on a disc, so that they can get their own prints made, whenever they want.

Your first step should be to get a business license....because it would probably be illegal to charge for anything unless you are licensed and are paying tax on the income.

5. mstephens

mstephens TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Definatly get your business liscense or register yourself as a sole propritorship (thats probably not how you spell it) and before you start charging write up a contract covering all of your bases. once money starts to get involved people can get ugly so ALWAYS cover your butt.

i would say search around your area as how much other photographers are charging and compete with their prices but dont low-ball them. if you are shooting for 1/3 of what their prices are you can piss them off and thats not what you want. you want friends in the photography industry, not enemys!!!