Want to start my own website....

kidchill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tripcphotos.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd like to start my own website, but there's a few things I'm looking for, and not sure where to go or where to start. I'd like to be able to pick my own domain name (Godaddy is only like $8 for a year with 1GB storage), I'd like some sort of template or easy to use program to design/setup, and if possible I would like to protect the pics from being d/l'd by users. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am computer savvy, but haven't played around with website creation.

Godaddy is good for the domain name itself, but I didn't really like their hosting. I had a few clients use them and when setting up their site, I had all kinds of problems and it was really slow. I haven't used them in a couple of years, so I'm not sure if that has changed.

For a premade template, you can go to www.templatemonster.com. They are cheap and professional.

As far as protecting your pictures, if you put them on the web, they can be copied. All the scripts in the world won't change that if people want them, they will get them....

I use godaddy for my domain name, but their free hosting comes with a fixed banner on top making you webpage look really unprofessional because of their ad. I use http://www.hostsnake.com/ for my hosting and just redirect my domain DNS to their servers.

As for proteching your photos, I suggest you use simpleviewer. It may be complicated to use at first but if you check out my website, it uses a flash based gallery so people can't really copy it easily if not at all!

I hope this helped.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind paying for a domain name/space, $8/yr is nothing!! What's the catch with the free webhosting on that hostsnake.com, and can you pick your own domain name?

I was thinking about a website a long time ago, but decided there were too many disadvantages. Since then, I consider myself lucky that I didn't.

In an article I read Flicker and some other host sites were used as sources for those who steal images. You can't protect your own images and some photographers who post their images have used google and found illegal copies all over the place.

Then there was a colleague who had her identity stolen. People tend to forget that information can found on the web by data mining software and if a name can be attached to the info. then that info. can be sold and often for illegal purposes. How much info. have you put into forms etc. out on the net without thinking too much about it?

Then there is the situations you don't plan on. I read where one fellow was refused employment. They googled him and felt that his Utube image would reflect badly on the company.

If you end up on any side of a legal situation in civil court, there may be a lot of people using the net to find info. about you that they can put a negative spin on, in a court situation. "Are you selling photos on the web and hiding income from the tax man?" (for example.)

Then there is a privacy issue. How much info. do you really want to put into a personal or business web site? You may want business, but do you really want everyone to be able to trace you through the net?

skieur

Thats why I don't put high res on my FTP server. SImple viewer only requires about a 600x400. nnothing that can be used commercially.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind paying for a domain name/space, $8/yr is nothing!! What's the catch with the free webhosting on that hostsnake.com, and can you pick your own domain name?

A domain name and web hosting are entirely seperate. You can purchase each through different services. Use GoDaddy for your domain name and then buy the hosting elsewhere. So, to answer your question, you can always point a domain name to any URL :)

As for proteching your photos, I suggest you use simpleviewer. It may be complicated to use at first but if you check out my website, it uses a flash based gallery so people can't really copy it easily if not at all!

I hope this helped.

To copy your images, I simply right-clicked on the photo, and said to open in a seperate window, then right clicked on the image in the new window and saw a Save As option.

I just do as you do, save a small web compressed (72dpi) image for my galleries. If someone wants to steal a 400 pixel graphic, then eh... oh well... :)

there are scripts to disable right click, i'm still trying to figure them out. I use go daddy and LOVE IT, i paid 75$ for an entire year for 100GB of storage and i dont even remember how much bandwidth, but more than i'll ever need.

i use jalbum as my photo viewer (google it) and i love it.

there are scripts to disable right click, i'm still trying to figure them out. I use go daddy and LOVE IT, i paid 75$ for an entire year for 100GB of storage and i dont even remember how much bandwidth, but more than i'll ever need.

i use jalbum as my photo viewer (google it) and i love it.

These javascripts (disable right-click) are easy to install, and easier to disable or remove. Seriously, if you don't want anyone to take your images, don't put them on the web. There is a way to get around everything.

What are your thoughts about smugmug? I saw a pro photographers site on there and I liked the setup and it seems reasonable...My big thing is that I don't have a whole lot of time, or rather I don't want to spend a whole lot of time learning site development. I kinda just want to do it and be done with it. Quick n easy.....Hopefully

I was given www.zenfolio.com web site by another photographer and thought I would pass on info. This is who I am using for my web site www.underwaterimagesbycherylanddoug.com. I got my domain from domain.com then signed up for zenfolios premium service which is $100 per year. Premium service allows you to redirect your domain name to zenfolio web site that you design with several design and themes available. It allows you to take off zenfolio name off your web site so it looks like your own. I agree with Lyncca that if somebody wants to steal photos off the net they will find a way but with this service you can at least watermark your photos. My referral code is TMM-F8G-V2Z.anyone can use if they wish. You get $5.00 off any of their services and I get $5 to use next time on their services.:)

Just so you know, because I am selling my photographs both online and off at an art gallery and 2 different gift shops, I worry just as much about someone buying one of my small prints off line and then they could enlarge or copy or post or whatever. I do sign both front and back of photographs and lab I use puts copyright for our business on back of photo but you never know. I hope it never happens but I am aware that it could.

http://www.monster4x4performance.com
When my husband created his website he used yahoo. They let him design it himself. But I'm not sure how they do photographs. I think you can d/l pics from the sites. But not sure.

Most reactions

Back