Want to start my own website....

Yah, I think I've decided on zenfolio....I was looking at someone else's site on there and it doesn't look bad, and $100/yr is reasonable (<$10/month). I just didn't check on the ability to do that hotlinking thing to post picks in here, but I guess I could always post on flickr if not...I have a really stupid question, how do I go about getting a domain name and then rerouting to the zenfolio website? The last time I made a website was literally in 1998 and I used Netscape Navigator (if that tells you anything). Regardless, thanks guys for all the info!! I hate putting up posts and theres 50 people that read it, but no one replies!!! CHRiS

I didnt know how to do that either but zenfolio has help section with contact us section so I contact them via e-mail when I needed help. They respond fast enough. I got my domain name back in dec from domain.com then I bought zenfolio premium acct. end of last month.Then I emailed zenfolio on how to redirect. I cant find email they sent me but I needed to call and give domain.com zenfolio ip address and domain.com had to set up c record or a record cause I only had one set up. Sorry but I know nothing about this tech stuff. I just read domain.com email zenfolio sent me and they knew what to do and it is working. Domain.com didnt charge me anything for doing it either.Use my referral code from zenfolio or someone elses and you save $5. Also after you upoaod your photos make sure you go to toolbox on right side and disable downloading of files under access control box. The only problem I have now is how to get my web site to show up on search engines but I plan on working on that this weekend. I have books from library and there is info on this site and others.

I switched to Godaddy for both hosting and domain name about 4 months ago and it's been great. For hosting the images, I still host everything offsite at Photobucket, just because it's easier for me to do it that way.

I'm not incredibly worried about people stealing my images, they are watermarked at the very least, though I might start putting a higher level of watermarking on them.

OK, so I went to zenfolio and started setting up an account and ended up not liking it. So, I went and checked out smugmug and that's where I'm at. I uploaded some and photos and yadda-yadda, so we'll wait out the 2wk trial and go from there. If you have time, stop in and see....

http://www.tripcphotos.smugmug.com

Looks great! Although I have my own site, I am considering just using a service in order to sell prints (when I get some worth selling :lol:) . I've looked at smugmug and liked their site and services.

By the way, I clicked through your galleries. You have some really nice shots.

Thank you!! Appreciate the compliment....It's a work in progress. I want to eventually add some personal areas to the site, but school is keeping me busy at the moment... :(

I like smug mug. It offers a lot of flexibility. I got my domain name at Go Daddy as well. If you are concerned about people stealing your images. Make sure you don't allow sharing or allow right clicks. Of course nothing prevents screen captures. It's the web, there are many ways to steal things. For me tho, even tho it would bug me that someone stole an image, I would be somewhat honored. :) Then again it's just a hobby for me, I'm certainly not a professional.

As for proteching your photos, I suggest you use simpleviewer. It may be complicated to use at first but if you check out my website, it uses a flash based gallery so people can't really copy it easily if not at all!

...unless they right click on them! I have seen all kinds of flash galleries, yours is the only one that has an "Open image in new window" option (nice pics btw) that opens a window with the jpg file, in higher resolution too!

Following on that:

There is a way to get around everything.

As simple as pressing a single button (Print Screen).

Then there is a privacy issue. How much info. do you really want to put into a personal or business web site? You may want business, but do you really want everyone to be able to trace you through the net?

skieur

I spent a lot of time thinking about this actually, and decided to exist completely in both the digital and the real life. I am a child of the digital age, so it never really scared me what people could do with the information, but I consider the pro's for being online so great that I am willing to sacrifice something for it.

My website contains all data you would need to find me, almost in person, and through a lot of my writing, parts of myself as a human being is given up for everyone. As for photographs, I don't have a problem with them being online, but I keep most of them low quality so you can't really use them for anything.

Now as for general protection of your images. If someone wants it, they'll get it. Disabling right click doesn't help squat, using simpleviewer (which I use for all my images) is not safer, as all the images are located in one specific folder common to all simpleviewer galleries and it takes me 0 seconds to download the contents of it if I want to.

I believe that we exist online as well as in real life as soon as we have some form of identiy online, and thus, I prefer to make sure that identity is the real me rather than some pretend person. I also make a point to have any images of me in situations that could be used against me, especially with alcohol and / or cigarettes (even though I don't smoke) removed as soon as I find it.

I am quite sure that I can defend everything I have ever said online, left in forum posts, my personal blogs or anywhere else, and if you are carefull and a generally sound person, you'll be fine.

*Edit: If you want a good, reliable host and domain name, check out www.one.com I've used them for lots of sites for myself and clients, and never had any problems at all.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this actually, and decided to exist completely in both the digital and the real life. I am a child of the digital age, so it never really scared me what people could do with the information, but I consider the pro's for being online so great that I am willing to sacrifice something for it.

I agree with you on every statement. I have been on the web displaying my personal information for approximately 10 yrs now and I have had some kind of website for the past 8 or 9 years. I even use my real name (as you can see on this forum) -- which is very unusual. I guarantee if you go to Google and type "Lyncca," you will find me! I also would defend any statement I have made publicly "online."

In the past 10 yrs I have not had even one problem or harassing email. I guess I figure that your info can usually be found anyway by various different websites, so who cares? Now, in the case of a minor, I feel differently about this, but then, they shouldn't be out there without parental monitoring anyway...

I use Site5. 750 Gigs of space, 1 TB of bandwidth for $5/month if you're willing to buy in advance. Even so, their prices aren't bad with shorter plans. They have quite a few scripts including "Gallery" and "Coppermine" with LOTS of skins to chose from. Decided to use them after hosting two sites with a friend of mine's Site5 space for a couple of years. Never had a problem with them. GL! http://www.site5.com/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back