Want to use a wireless trigger with A57 and 2 yongnuo 560 II ..........hotshoe??

MetroRuss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have been searching for a few days now about which wireless trigger can work with my A57 proprietary hotshoe.
Can someone please let me know if my thinking of the setup is wrong.

I am planning to use the flashes to take some interior real estate photos with a sigma 10-20mm, the window brightness is really blowing out a lot of my pics.

Here is what I am thinking:

Can I use a sony hotshoe adapter and then use any type/brand/model of wireless no TTL trigger to fire off 2 remote off camera flashes (YN-560II) and since the receivers will have the standard hotshoe can I use the less expensive canon/Nikon version since I do not plan to use these flashes mounted to my a57.

If this setup above does not work, would I have to get a transmitter that fits the proprietary sony hotshoe and get flashes that fit the sony proprietary hotshoe as well?

Thanks for any help you can offer

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use pixel soldier wireless triggers/remote with my A77. They work like a charm, even when using different brand flash, ie: Sony HVL-F43AM, my old Minolta 5400HS and a Yongnuo I have all at the same time.

I use a standard Vivitar IR wireless shutter release for my a77, and a pair of pocket wizards.
Both can easily be found on eBay or Amazon.

I use Pixel Kings on my A77. Also work fine (I know Pixel says the Kings are not compatible with the A77, but the ONLY thing I cannot do with mine is set a flash on a receiver to act as a trigger for other flashes using the optical Sony propietary system; but I can use manual and TTL adjustments without issues). And range is pretty good too...

Have you considered shooting the interior when the sun is not bright? Maybe even shoot it at night + tripod + interior lights.

Inside with flash there should be no issues; but for basketball games, you cannot be firing flashes off, so there it may be a bit of an issue...

Hello,

I am planning to use the flashes to take some interior real estate photos with a sigma 10-20mm, the window brightness is really blowing out a lot of my pics.

Here is what I am thinking:

Can I use a sony hotshoe adapter and then use any type/brand/model of wireless no TTL trigger to fire off 2 remote off camera flashes (YN-560II) and since the receivers will have the standard hotshoe can I use the less expensive canon/Nikon version since I do not plan to use these flashes mounted to my a57.

If this setup above does not work, would I have to get a transmitter that fits the proprietary sony hotshoe and get flashes that fit the sony proprietary hotshoe as well?

Thanks for any help you can offer

I use an adapter to fit my ISO trigger to the Sony iISO hotshoe on my cameras. You can buy the iShoot PT-04 Trigger for the Sony iISO hot shoe and receivers for standard ISO hot shoe.
Just search for 'iShoot' or, more general, 'Wireless flash trigger Sony'.

Phil

Thank you for the replies. I have read conflicting info on dpreview. A fellow stated that I would not need a wireless trigger kit and that the yn560ii would work automatically off of my a57 flash activating. Is this true?

I know you do not need a remote trigger to activate Sony flashes (you can use the Sony proprietary option), but I cannot speak for the yn560ii, as I do not own one...

The Yongnuo 460-II does have built in optical slave capability. As long as the ambient light does not overpower your 'trigger' flash, all should work fine. Yongnuo YN-460II YN460 II YN-460 II Flash Speedlight/Speedlite for Nikon | Yongnuo Store

I bought radio triggers for the few times that optical would not work. I bought these from Amazon, Amazon.com: XCSource 16 Channel Wireless Radio Flash Trigger SET 1 Transmitter + 3 Receivers + 1 Sync Wire Cable for Canon 6D 7D 70D 60D 700D 650D 1100D 1000D 600D 50D 550D 500D 40D 30D 350D 400D 450D 30D 10D Rebel XS T5i T4i T3i T2i T1i T4 T3 Nikon , one transmitter and four receivers. A Yongnuo YN-H3 (about $8.00 on EBAY) adapts the transmitter to the iISO hot shoe on my Sony Cameras. There are some PIXEL TF-324, http://www.ebay.com/itm/TF-324-Hot-...=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item3cbda90fc1, adapters for mounting my old Minolta flashes when necessary.

Phil

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, looks like all the new Sony cameras are using the ISO hot shoe, but there are thousands of Minolta and Sony flashes out there with iISO shoes. Hopefully the new cameras have the same communication protocol so, with an adapter, the digital flashes will still work. Most of the Minolta flashes won't TTL with the digital cameras anyway. I still have some film cameras, so the old stuff is still useful.

Phil

OK, from what I have heard at the office (I work for Sony, but not for the camera division), all the new cameras (starting with the A99) have the ISO mount, not the Minolta one. The new flash (HVL-F60) is ISO mount, but comes with the adapter (at least in Latin America; I know this type of things change by region, so it would be wise to check!) so you can use the F60 on the A77, for example, using the supplied adapter. The wireless trigger system works regardless of the flash mount type.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back