wanted nikon dlsr

andrwplsn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a nikon fm 35mm, with a few lenses and wanted to upgrade cause i am looking at getting into photography again, i took a class a few years ago but it was all film. so im looking for something that is lower in price, so tell me what you have and how much you want, i am a noob looking for some help getting into the hobby, im going traveling for 2 years and would like something nicer than my fujifilm z20fd point and shoot.

What's your budget?

I'd imagine you'll want a body capable of handling your older lenses, but what are they?

i thought that if it was a nikon it was a nikon and the lenses would fit. i have a vivitar 200mm telephoto with a 2x converter, and a nikkor-q 135mm. im looking for one with a the lens that comes with it. sorry im totally new to all of this and yeah, i kinda feel like a fool.

Well, they may fit but some bodies won't meter or auto focus with them (if they are auto focus lenses that is).

The D40, D60, D3000 and D5000 won't auto focus on anything but Nikon AF-S or Sigma HSM lenses for example (not sure what the code words are for the other manufacturers). They will still work if you manually focus them however.

I also believe pre AF-D lenses won't meter on anything but the D100, D200, D300 and D1, D2 and D3 bodies - I'm sure someone here could say if I got that right or not.

All of the other digital Nikon bodies do have the internal focus motor built in. (D50, D70, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D1, D2, D3, etc.).

they are totally manual lenses, i dont mind having to manual focus. in all seriousness, i dont know much at all, i just want something nice i can use while im traveling. so would it be better to take and sell my setup and just go and get a new dslr with one lense or is going about it this way better?

i have been concidering the d50. mostly because of the price. im looking at under 250 so entery level.

The D50 is a fine camera, the main advantage newer bodies have (D5000, D90, D300, etc) have is better performance at higher ISO. For example I can get good looking photos at 3200 ISO on my D90 while I was reluctant to use anything 800 or over on my D80.

I think you'll be off to a good start with the D50 and you should be able to find a body in your price range. Take a look at KEH.com as well, they usually have a good selection of used cameras.

I've also seen a few show up on Craigslist.com as well, at least that way you can hold the camera and even try your lenses out on it before you buy.

ok, thanks for all the info and help, now i just need to come up with some funds to make it happen.

im actually thinking of going with the d40 with the lense kit, just so i can start up for cheaper and either let my fm and stuff for it sit on the shelf or sell it.

thanks again
andrew

Last edited:
I say a D40 w/ the sigma 18-200mm would be your best bet. It would be perfect for traveling. Light and cheap. Well, the D40 is light, but the lens wouldnt really be, but cheaper than the Nikon version. =]

Most reactions

Back