Wanted: viewscreen for Rolleiflex TLR

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by voodoocat, Sep 24, 2003.

1. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I inherited a Rolleiflex TLR built between 1934-37 It's missing the groundglass. I tried making one but cannot get ahold of glass thin enough to put in the camera. Beatties are too expensive.

2. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

Maybe find somebody with a 4x5 (or bigger) screen that's cracked and make one out of that? 8)

Jim

3. voodoocat

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's a wonderful idea! Thanks.

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How thin does it need to be? Could you use sanded plexiglass?

Cutting down a bigger ground glass is a good idea if it is thin enough. Take it to a window shop to get it cut. They can probably cut it neatly and grind the edges for a few bucks.

What do the folks who replace the original screen with Beattie or Maxwell screens do with their old ones? I'd think there'd be some around. In fact, when I get mine replaced I'll give you my old screen; I just don't know when that will be.

Also look for "parts only" Rollei's. You might be able to get one with a screen for cheap.

Do you know what kind of Rollei TLR you have? I recently aquired a Rolleiflex 3.5E with a Zeiss Planar. I think it was made in 1957. I've been shooting it for about a month now. I LOVE IT!!! I love looking at a ground glass instead of squinting through a viewfinder. I also really like the ease of getting low angles. TLRs may be the perfect camera for taking little kid pics. Recently I've been blowing up some Rollei shots to 16" x 16". They look awesome.

5. voodoocat

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the new standard rolleiflex. Manufactured between 1934-1937. It has the zeiss tessar f3.8 lens. It's not coated so this wont be a camera I use a whole lot.

6. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

It also occurred to me that a YashicaMat 124 screen might fit this, since the Yashica is an unabashed copy of the Rollei... :shock:

Jim

7. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Voodoo... We chatted about this earlier, outside the forum (thx for inviting me on this Forum, it's a blast!).

The idea about the 4x5 is generally good but the ground glass is too thick for the Rollei. The Yashica is better, yet there is another camera, a Russian made TLR called Liubitel, you can get one for under $50. Then you'll have two cameras and one ground glass... :D I'm not sure it fits properly but it might be worth a shot.

BTW, if you want to make ground glass you can do it by hand, I used medium to fine to super-fine grit sand paper or you can load it in an orbital sander. The trick is to not develop a pattern in grinding it, otherwise it won't come out good. The more I think the more I believe in all being hand made...