Wanting a very fast lens to try some DOF

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited:
Something like this?
Day Twenty Six on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Credit goes to Dscience.

I think he is also is using a 1.8

My only grip about the lens is that it is only at 50mm.
spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

What you are looking for is a shallow DOF.

Every photo has a DOF, it's just a matter of whether it's deep or shallow and where the lens is focused in the scene.

To get a shallow DOF, the primary aspect is a large aperture, something like F1.8, yes.

What you are looking for is a shallow DOF.

Every photo has a DOF, it's just a matter of whether it's deep or shallow and where the lens is focused in the scene.

To get a shallow DOF, the primary aspect is a large aperture, something like F1.8, yes.

Yea, shallow is what I'm wanting I guess. I can pretty much go to infinity with deep. I'm limited to 2.8 with my current lenses.

Does going from 2.8 to 1.8 make that much of a difference?

Depends on a few other factors like focal length and distance to your subject/focus point. But yes, it will make a difference.

Depends on a few other factors like focal length and distance to your subject/focus point. But yes, it will make a difference.
other than an "artistic" are there any other applications, such as portraits? What about theater? The theater on my campus sometimes ask me to take photos of their act during rehearsal. The 1.8 would help with lighting since I use what ever lighting they having on during the sets. Which for the most of the time, is low.

Something like this?
Day Twenty Six on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Credit goes to Dscience.

I think he is also is using a 1.8

My only grip about the lens is that it is only at 50mm.
spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

Thanks friend!

That was taken with my 35mm f/1.8, however I don't remember if it was wide open or not for that pic.

Yea, I really like your shallow DOF. Been looking through your flicker and some of them are really cool. I really like shallow DOF and i see it being more artistic. Not that other DOF are not artistic, its just "different" i guess lol.

Photos on my flicker are just blah, anyone could take them. I want something that makes my photos stand out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back