Wanting to break out....

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jleon, Oct 27, 2008.

1. jleon

jleon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am a complete newbie to photography but find myself always wanting more - i think this is my sign to pursue it further. So, my question is - what is the best way to do this? I have had NO official training or classes - should i start there? Should i take an online course or an in person course? I only have a point and shoot, should i buy a used DSLR to get started or work with what i've got? Help!! I really want to learn more but am not sure where to start!! I am still trying to learn (just by reading) what the terms (fstop, ISO, etc.) mean!!

2. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Taking a class at a community college or community center could be a great way to kick start yourself into photography.

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're serious about photography a P&S will only get you so far.

Clasess, seminars, etc...

If you take classes at some place like a community college, they'll probably have you working with a film SLR to start off with.

And read. Read about the basics, read about the advanced stuff, read about lighting, read about lenses, read about bodies, read about the legal side (knowing your rights as a photographer), read about models, read about still life, read about professionals, read blogs, read comics, read magazines, read anything and everything that has something to do with photography. Chances are that even if it's a subject you don't like, you'll learn something interesting that can be applied to some part or another of what you do like and what you want to accomplish.

Also ask questions. Say you have a brand new CaNikoSonLympusTax ADEXXXDK and a longer focal length lens and you want to do panning shots of race cars and have never done it before. There's plenty of people that have that will give you advice.

4. DRoberts

DRoberts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Classic! Wonder what one of those cost?

He is very right. That would be my biggest advice is read. Alot.
    Look at lots of photos to get a clear picture on what a good photo is, and for ideas.
    One thing that really helps, is while you are out practicing, keep a photo log, with date, time, subject, lighting conditions, temperature, camera settings. It really sucks to be playing around, get a "great" shot, and not know how to get it again.
    Be your own harshest critic. Pick your shots to death with a repeating method...exposure/contrast, focus, lighting, point of view, perspective, bokeh...etc.
    But most of all, shoot shoot shoot! Point and shoot your little heart away, have as much fun with it as you can until you decide to take the next step.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  5. jleon

jleon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If i want a picture in black and white is it best to shoot in black and white or can i shoot in color and than change it later? I have been told you should never change a color picture to black and white - why is that?

6. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whoever told you that doesn't know what he is talking about. I think many (if not most) of us who do digital B/W do it from color conversions. There are complete books on this topic, but several good threads exist here on TPF.