Wanting to draw....

adamsnez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there, im new to this forum because I'm looking for some help. I'm looking at doing a pencil portrait of a soldiers face, but am having a hard time finding good photo's of what im looking for. I tried searching here, but could not find any.
If any of you have a photo in your personal collection, or know of where a good one would be, please link it up as I'm wanting to a commemorative war portrait.
I'm looking for

1) High-res, clear, so i can get as much detail in as possible
2) a close up of the face, with helmet on
3) if the face shows "the dirt of war" (cuts,dirt,etc) even better.
4) PREFERRABLY looking for a US Vietnam, or WWII picture. These i know would be hard to come across, so anything modern is ok as well.

I've found pictures from the Nam, but all are fairly small and no detail. Let me know if any of you can help me out! looking at starting this soon
THANKS!

-Adam

i saved that image, thanks! i might try it.. does anyone have anything else? Something that shows a bit more face, less "hiding" ;) thanks again!

Littleman, thanks, but.
" 1) High-res, clear, so i can get as much detail in as possible"

In that last picture, the guy on the right, if it was a big clear picture that would be great to use! but far too small.

Littleman, thanks, but.
" 1) High-res, clear, so i can get as much detail in as possible"

In that last picture, the guy on the right, if it was a big clear picture that would be great to use! but far too small.
Make it up, use your imagination.

I've done a lot of drawings exactly like what you're thinking.
That's the good part about drawing, part of it is coming from your imagination... so it's part of you.

It's better not to copy an image exactly anyways.

when im going for photorealism and a portrait of a specific person?
It is like this one I drew,
83760c92.jpg

The original was different in small aspects(ie. the background, cropping, foreground etc...)
But the face is the same.
Also, the original didn't have this much detail in it. You don't need perfect detail to draw a detailed photo. (I added the detail in my drawing since the photo lacked it...)

If you are trying to duplicate an image exactly, that is what cameras are for... so in my opinion, you should simplify the photo so you bring exactly what you want to the paper.

It's not about finding the "perfect photo"... It is about drawing the drawing you want to accomplish.

Good luck!

If you need any pointers or still have any questions I'd be more than happy to help.

Most reactions

Back