Wanting to know more!

Amarok815

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I have a Sony Alpha a6000 that I've had for awhile now, but I'd like to really know how to use it. The directions that came with it, I don't understand at all (I'm one of those...) and I've watched videos with how to instructions. The how to instructions had all of this extra equipment I don't have and I'd just like a link to a minimalist photographer's beginners guide to taking great pictures (with just a camera, no extras). Anyone have any tips or a link?

Thank you!!!!

IMG_3927.JPG

Here are my pictures, it shows you my skill level currently. I've learned a ton from that website, so I'd be interested in what it would look like now. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_3950.JPG
    IMG_3950.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3951.JPG
    IMG_3951.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 107
Tip No 1: Get the camera down to Fido's eye level.

IMG 3950...nbot too bad for a beginner! As Sparky mentioned, getting down to eye level can help.

Welcome to the forum! Very nice images for a start and beautiful dog!
One tip: don´t crop his legs if you have enough headroom. The a6000 has amazing autofocus features, so you can always set the autofocus points to a spot that fits your image (his/her eyes) and don´t need to leave too much headroom.
I don´t know your skill level, but if you are not yet familiar with the effects of shutter speed | aperture | ISO, may I suggest my youtube channel: PHOTO1x1 Free Photography Course
I haven´t got much time lately to continue with the course but maybe it helps.

I haven't watched this whole video on the A6000, but Tony Northrup is pretty good at showing how to use specific cameras when he has it in his play list. Probably worth watching and, better yet, it is free.

Thank you for all the info! I wasn't too familiar with shutter, ISO or aperture, but the links, tips and the Digital Photography Tutorials helped a ton! I took Buck and Griffin (my dogs) back out to try and get some experimental pictures with all the info. I got a few that I'll upload for some criticism and tips as soon as my batteries recharge.

Derrel & 480sparky - I was able to get my shots down to eye level and that looked so much better! Had to clean my camera periodically from them licking it, but I personally like the look more.

photo1x1.com - Thank you! I'll definitely be watching that tonight! I do have a question, by not cutting the legs and lessening the head room, his head would be out of the center and more towards the top. If you were to judge a photo from say 1-10, would it loose points by being off center towards the top?

dunfly - Just watched that and it was super informative! Thanks!

Thank you for all the info! I wasn't too familiar with shutter, ISO or aperture, but the links, tips and the Digital Photography Tutorials helped a ton! I took Buck and Griffin (my dogs) back out to try and get some experimental pictures with all the info. I got a few that I'll upload for some criticism and tips as soon as my batteries recharge.

Derrel & 480sparky - I was able to get my shots down to eye level and that looked so much better! Had to clean my camera periodically from them licking it, but I personally like the look more.

photo1x1.com - Thank you! I'll definitely be watching that tonight! I do have a question, by not cutting the legs and lessening the head room, his head would be out of the center and more towards the top. If you were to judge a photo from say 1-10, would it loose points by being off center towards the top?

dunfly - Just watched that and it was super informative! Thanks!
Hahaha, I can imagine your dogs giving the camera a bath :D
Regarding the out of center. Usually you don´t want your subjects to be in the center. There are different approaches to that. Some use the rule of thirds, some the even more sophisticated golden ratio. Anyway cropping too tight is also not perfect. A little head room is best without croppint the toes.
Looking forward to the new pics with foggy lens ;)

photo1x1.com - I've used the rule of thirds with flower pictures, but I didn't think to use it with dog pictures. I will be experimenting with that along with the other things I've learned tomorrow or tonight.

I don't like all the head room I had with all these pictures and I'll be working on that next time. (I'll have to create another account on a photo uploading site, since my photo bucket isn't working...)

EDIT: So, photobucket won't log me in and I created an Imgur, well that won't upload my photos onto it's site... They're probably too big to add here as a bunch of my other ones where too, but I'll try to put some up.

Last edited:
DrnROaX.jpg
This is the only one that will come up on Imgur. I think its from the pics being too big, so I'll try to find another to hold bigger pictures...

Way too much space on the sides and top. Crop in closer.

Most reactions

Back