wanting to make my own in home studio

Sontizzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
anyone have any websites that have good write ups on how to build your own in home photo studio? this would be to shoot portraits and whatnot. basically i guess all i would need to do is build to supporting poles with a cross bar to support a backdrop. also would be interested in any write ups on backdrops also. Thanks!

oh and what possibly could i use for lighting besides paying hundreds for actual "photography" lighting

Though they do talk about ringlights, the strobist site (http://strobist.blogspot.com) are actually proponents of getting that flash OFF your camera. :)

I love that site, great source of info.

Matter of fact, if you want to build a home studio on the cheap, you cannot do that until you know what you are doing, and this is likely the best place on the net to start. :)

i was actually talking about using lights (not flashes) such as ones u find at a hardware store or walmart instead of buying actual photography lighting/stand.

i was actually talking about using lights (not flashes) such as ones u find at a hardware store or walmart instead of buying actual photography lighting/stand.

Not recommended. Have you ever stood under 2500 watts of continuous lighting for 2 hours? Not unless you enjoy taking pics of people sweating a lot... lol
Know what kind of damage that heat would do to umbrellas or softboxes?

No informed person would use continuous lighting for photography.

^^agreed

continuous lighting is the cheapest way to go.....ie work lights from hardware store. this is how i started out. continuous lights are also known as hot lights because they put out alot of heat and will bake you and your model(s). you can also make you own scrim for these. (just don't get your modifiers too close or you'll become a firefighter) .

in all honesty tho, either take your portraits using window light and homemade reflector or take them outside until you can afford strobes or speedlites.

one more thing about hotlights........like i said before i started out with them and quickly dumped them because:

1. they are damn hot. very uncomfortable for all involved.
2. they are hard to modify the light (ie make the light softer) without fear of a fire.
3. i didn't like the light they put out. it just wasnt pleasing.

the strobist way is the cheapest way when compared to buying studio lights, but they have no modeling lights which is very useful when first starting out.

maybe you could save for 1 alienbee strobe and a reflector

they do have a plus side.....WYSIWYG

Thats a very weak advantage :) Let me explain.

After using your strobes a few times and actively practicing, you will be able to KNOW how and where the light falls based on where you place the strobe.

After a short while, you will actively change strobe position and power based on the kind of effect you want to acheive. This, IMHO, will make you a better photographer than if using constant lighting.

... and yes you are right, there is some danger of injury from burns to you or the model, or fire, especially if one is too busy concentrating on the picture instead of their surroundings.

i was going to wire up a trigger for the continuous lighting. either a floor trigger i could step on to turn on and off or a hand held one so the lights arent constantly on. im really new to photography and it doesnt seem just for me to spend all the money on a professional set up. maybe when i find out if im good at ill go for the good stuff.

does anyone have any links to the lighting you are recommending? i have a few hundred bucks to spare right now for it if the price is right.

That kind of lighting would cost you what... maybe $100? Add another $50-100 to that and you can shoot professional quality results, PLUS its a LOT more portable. That way you are not limited to JUST a home studio, but ANYWHERE.

Check out the strobist site, read, learn and make your choices. I am sure you will see the reality once you know what you speak of.

does anyone have any links to the lighting you are recommending? i have a few hundred bucks to spare right now for it if the price is right.

I already did... look up a few posts! And if you have a couple hundred bucks, you already have MORE than what you would need for a basic setup!

thank! im on my way out to buy some materials to make my own muslim backdrops now then ill check that site out.

Most reactions

Back