Wanting to print digital images VERY large (6 or 7 feet wide)...

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
... who to use?

I was inspired by some stunning photos at an art museum and wanted to try my hand at getting some of my images printed extra biggie.

Anyone done that? Any online vendor adept at this? Any suggestions?

PS- this will likely be absurdly expensive, yes.

Few inkjet printers can print wider than 64" or so, but they can print feet long strips from roll paper.

Note each strip is long (wide), but narrow:

Last edited:
Few inkjet printers can print wider than 64" or so, but they can print feet long strips from roll paper.

Note each strip is long (wide), but narrow:

Yeah, I definitely want this done by a pro with great professional gear for printing.

Found a website for 'American Frame Corporation' out of Toledo OH that prints up to 90" in some mediums. Anybody use 'em?

Last edited:
@Peeb you've sparked some questions in my mind. I'm not sure what equipment you have, but how large can you actually go with various formats - crop sensor, full, medium format, etc. and still have a quality print. Is there a point where you actually need to go to a Large Format film like a 4x5 or even 8x10?? What about resolution on large prints like this, what do you use???? Wouldn't your file size get outrageously large, or do you split it up into sections?

@Peeb you've sparked some questions in my mind. I'm not sure what equipment you have, but how large can you actually go with various formats - crop sensor, full, medium format, etc. and still have a quality print. Is there a point where you actually need to go to a Large Format film like a 4x5 or even 8x10?? What about resolution on large prints like this, what do you use???? Wouldn't your file size get outrageously large, or do you split it up into sections?
I think that I can up-rez some existing images from my FX camera.

I think I can use photoshop either directly or thru a plug-in to increase the resolution of images. In photoshop it would be: Image -- Image size -- bicubic. Plugins can do this too.

Maybe something like this... Blow Up - Alien Skin Software

Last edited:
I think I can use photoshop either directly or thru a plug-in to increase the resolution of images.

Apparently PS will allow you to save as a PSB file which will allow you to go up to 300,000 x 300,000 pixel image size, but I'm not sure I've got the puter power to handle a 4 exabytes image :crushed: that's gonna take more horsepower than I have

PS- this will likely be absurdly expensive, yes.

Schiller's Camera charges $9.95 a sq. ft. But my lab can only print 44" by whatever. Our largest advertised size is a 40x60 ($149.95).

Nations goes up to 30 x 40 in Glossy, Metallic or Lustre finish. $28.60 for the Glossy or Lustre, and $35.75 for Metallic.

I always deal with local printers, Especially for more complex projects. A decent local printer who has the ability to print large should also have the software to process your image the correct way. Billboard printer, large advertising printer, banners,

Large print has a few different factors such as how far your image will be viewed from 10ft or 110ft, indoor outdoor, etc. I would imaging the material it gets printed on will make up a good portion of the cost.

Most reactions

Back