Wanting to set up a small home studio and looking for recommendations on what to get.

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guys, I dont know if this is the right section for this but I'm looking to set up a small home studio to get used to managing my own light. Looking on what kinds of things i should be looking into and certain lights, soft boxes, light boxes, stands, back drops, and what ever you guys think are essential. Also, I'd like to get some things that are fairly versatile as I don't really know what kind of studio photography I will be focusing on. However, I do take a liking to portraits, still life and thing creating different dramatic imaging effects.

I dont have tons of money to throw at it but would prefer to spend an extra buck to get something quality over buying cheap.

Any specific things accessories, lights or other studio must haves with some links to check things out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Dave

Without an actual dollar-figure it's really hard to give appropriate recommendations. Adorama's Flashpoint line of monolights can get you 2-3 lights, stands and modifiers for ~$500 which IMO, is dirt cheap. If you're talking about setting up a typical basement studio (as in relatively small) then I would also consider using speedlights. Four Yongnuo speedlights, a couple of Lastolite-type softboxes, triggers, and some stands will probably weigh in at $250-300 and give you a lot more flexibility in small spaces. I find that unless I'm setting up outside in relatively bright light, I almost never use my monolights any more.

Go to Paul C Buff website (Alien Bees). They have kits and a Santa's bag full of add-ons. They're reliable, have great customer service and are a solid mid-level lighting system. You will get tons of advice about more generic systems. I'll offer up that lights are an investment. Why replace/ upgrade when you can jump to the head of the line and start with something already decent?

i have a tendency to buy what i would get second, first. So i guess, total, i could spend anywhere from 500-1000 depending on what it is. if i was going to spend a lot on quality gear then i would have to pick it up in pieces and buy a little at a time.

Ill definitely check out both of your suggestions and if theres anything specific you think i should look into then let me know.

Thanks gent!

Get: Thunder gray, black, and white seamless paper, in that order, if money is tight. SOLID, wall-mounted hanger system is the cheapest way to be able to use multiple rolls at the same time without need to re-hang rolls on a single shared crossbar.

Buy 4 to 5 "A" clamps. Buy 1 roll of black gaffer's tape. Buy one 36x48, approx. softbox, preferrably with a fabric grid aka an "egg crate"

Buy a set of honeycomb grids, and a set or two of barn doors for the reflectors that use the grids, and some kind of filter holder/diffuser holder setup.

Buy 5 identical light units. To accomplish this affordably and without being reamed, get the Flashpoint 320M lights from Adorama. Get the ones that come with the umbrella and lightstand and free shipping.

Make TWO 42 x72 inch white PVC frames from Home Depot PVC pipe and elbow joints ($12 for each frame) and clip them together to make them free-standing and into a V-flat. Cover at least one of them with either white fabric, or white poster boards, or even white, painted cardboard.

You will still have at least $150 left over outta the thousand.

Thanks Derrel. Youve always given me great advice and have been a big help to me. I dont really have $1k to drop at the moment but that gives me a good reference of what i need to pick up.

The only thing I may not have found are the light units. Getting 5 of the light units I think you suggested bring me up to $1k alone unless I am looking at the wrong ones or theres another kit they offer.

Flashpoint II FP320MK Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second FP320MK

Thanks Tirediron, Im going to look into those as well.

Right...the $179 kit is basically $40-$50 too much money--for the CASE!!! The lights themselves are only $99.95, with FREE shipping. The $179 is a light, stand,umbrella, and case. I have seen the prices at $129 for the light and stand, which is a good deal. UMbrellas are basically, pretty cheap. CASES are one of the single highest-profit items photo retailers sell, along with filters. The case for five Flashpoint monolights??? How about a $10 Goodwill suitcase from Samsonite???? And $3 worth of foam.

No, the $179 kit is wayyyyyyyyy too much x 5...you CAN get these lights for $99.95 EACH. Look around their web site more. Now, at $129, the price is more reasonable, but consider that Chinese-made light stands and low-cost umbrellas are available all over e-Bay...

When buying photo gear, the key is to research the sites, and find the best deals....pre-assembled "kits" are often, but not always, high-profit items for the dealers. I consider the single-light + case at $179 to be a bad,bad deal for the customer, but SOME people really,really want to have that case. BUT...if you have 5 of them, you need an entirely different set-up than five cases, right? So...no sense paying the extra $50 to $79 for something NOT really necessary.

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification.

just my .02- i put together a 2 strobe kit for under $500. couple used speedlites, Cactus V4 triggers, 2 used lightstands, couple umbrellas (one shoot-thru satin, one reflector) and a Westcott Apollo. i can travel light and fast with that and i don't feel like i've wasted a ton of money when i don't use it for months at a time.

I also wanted to ask about the Microsync II triggers. I have friend who said he could get some for a good price for me and I wanted to see what you guys think about them. After reading about the 320m lights, im thinking those look like a good deal and solid pieces that i could invest in. I appreciate the advice and the suggestions! Keep em coming if you have any others.

Dave

I probably didn't read thoroughly so this is totally my stupid...

The title says "...small home studio..." Why are we looking at 5 light units? What did I miss?
It's been one of THOSE days here, so forgive me!!!

I get what you mean but i was also just taking in consideration of the expandable options. I dont need 5 mono lights now but maybe i will sometime down the road.

I get what you mean but i was also just taking in consideration of the expandable options. I dont need 5 mono lights now but maybe i will sometime down the road.

OK. I think I get it...
I was wondering what you are shooting! LOL! I think when I am using strobes (not my speedlites) the most I've used at one time is probably 4 and that was for a HUGE family panorama!

Most reactions

Back