War II U.S. Navy Douglas SBD-2P "Dauntless" Dive Bomber DETAIL

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
WWII bomber recovered from Lake Michigan arrives at Air Zoo for restoration

IMG_0386e.jpg

Shot down over Lake Michigan? Didn't know we had any carriers in Michigan.

If any one piece of equipment could be singled out for stopping the expansion of, and actually turning the tide, against the Japanese in WWII, this plane would be a contender for the number one spot. A remarkable weapon flown by even more remarkable men.

(I know it was a training mission ... sorta like have a submarine base in Idaho.)

Last edited:

(I know it was a training mission ... sorta like have a submarine base in Idaho.)
Dude.. Seriously. The sub base in Idaho was supposed to be a secret.

That's why they built it there in the first place. It's the last place anyone would look for one.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

That's why they built it there in the first place. It's the last place anyone would look for one.

LOL ... like finding the AF Bases in Las Vegas. If you ask for directions to the Air Force base the locals ask you "Nellis or the top secret base" (Creech).

The only serious issue with that sub base in Idaho was that so many of the crew went on sick call with bad backs after the portage!

The only serious issue with that sub base in Idaho was that so many of the crew went on sick call with bad backs after the portage!
Ok granted, there were a few little hiccups. However during that entire voyage.. The sub was completely invisible to sonar.

Lol

We certainly need one there to keep an eye on those Canadians -- we don't want them sending over another Bieber.

And Tim Horton's coffee. Oh . . wait . . . that's ours, now.

We certainly need one there to keep an eye on those Canadians -- we don't want them sending over another Bieber.
That's their specialty. Weapons of Mass Disgution

I had an uncle whom was an enlisted pilot in WW2 - flew the F4 Corsair, IIRC.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back