War Photographer

c.cloudwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
"War Photographer" is a documentary about James Nachtwey, a war photographer, that is absolutely amazing. A MUST Watch.

Some of you know that war photography is what I did for 12 years but I hope that you will all trust me when I say: watch this movie!

Although it will obviously be of more interest to people who want to be war photogs or, at the very least, PJs, I believe most anyone interested in photo can learn something from it and it is well worth the time.

I avoided watching this movie for the longest time. Too close to reality for me. But I was, kind of, tricked into watching it a couple months ago and, MY GOD!, it is amazing.

I didn't think anyone could actually talk about the experience in a way that made sense to anyone who had not gone through it. But this movie does.

Of course, this is probably not a movie you're going to find at your local rental video store. It may be somewhere on the web, I didn't check, but it is available on Netflix.

WARNING!

There are images that can be very disturbing.

Although this movie is not political in the least, there are also some truths being told about our way of life that can be disturbing to innocent people.

I don't know if you can bookmark a thread here but if you can, I would love to hear what you thought after you watched it. Good or bad.

i bought it recenlty but haven't gotten around to viewing, your comments push it up to a position of "must do this weekend"

It is a great documentary and a must watch for photographers. It was so good, I wrote an article on it on my blog so that other photographers could find it. He's an amazing man. You should also listen to his Ted conference talk online, it is great.

ann, Anne, make sure you have a box of tissue nearby. Not a happy film.

But please post your feelings afterwards. I am looking at it from a special place and I would like to know what normal people think.

Fantastic film. It's required viewing for us here in University of Cincinnati photojournalism.

Really eye opening, inspiring, and a serious reality check for a lot of people in the program.

ann, Anne, make sure you have a box of tissue nearby. Not a happy film.

But please post your feelings afterwards. I am looking at it from a special place and I would like to know what normal people think.

Noted, sir!

I will post my review as soon as I watch it. I am prior military and also ex-military spouse that comes from a very long lineage of veterans on both sides of the family.

Also, one of my regular customers that comes into the studio where I work is a Navy vet who was a photojournalist (can't remember what the job description is in the Navy) told me I am wasting my talents for the company I work for *coughlifetouchcough* and has been very inspiring for me to venture out on my own.

Sorry for the partial thread hijack!

No hijack felt. Lol.

Anything that will take this thread back to the top of the pile is worth it it it helps make one more person watch the darn movie. Too few people have any idea what it really is to be a war photog. They have some kind of romantic idea of it but that is it.

Can you get this friend of yours to comment? I bet it would be interesting.

Fantastic film. It's required viewing for us here in University of Cincinnati photojournalism.

Really eye opening, inspiring, and a serious reality check for a lot of people in the program.

Wow! Fooking great. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Hooligan. If I ever get the balls to, I will. As I said earlier, it is not an easy thing for me.

Thanks Hooligan. If I ever get the balls to, I will. As I said earlier, it is not an easy thing for me.

Yeah. For me it's become a need. Especially after i watched beyond words. I always wanted to be a war photographer but after seeing beyond words I knew I would never feel as if i reached my purpose in life unless i tried it once. If I'm successful, good. If I'm not, at least
i tried.

i plan on showing it to one of my intermediate classes which should be very interesting as well

I always wanted to be a war photographer but after seeing beyond words I knew I would never feel as if i reached my purpose in life unless i tried it once. If I'm successful, good. If I'm not, at least
i tried.

Go for it. At least you'd be getting into it with your eyes open. If you have a port ready, may I suggest you go knock on Magnum's door. Not easy to get in but probably the best agency to be in.
Magnumphotos

One never knows. I've always been one to knock on the best door first and work my way down from there if I was turned down. It worked very nicely for me overall and I spent a lot less time working my way up than most people who started at the bottom. :D

You can also try my way. I just bought a one way ticket into a war zone and started as an independent. I'll be honest though, I was very young and it helped because a couple of more experienced people took me under their wings and showed me the ropes of the business. Also had parents willing to support me financially until I started selling.

I'd be happy to share what I know with you but I don't think it would help you much. With digital I'm sure today's PJs work very differently from the way I did. I doubt anyone carries a darkroom around anymore :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back