Warm Confines

woodsac said:
Two: Framing! Everyone wants 8x10 and 11x14. I've worked so hard the last couple years learning to compose in camera, that it just comes natural. Well now, once I have to crop, it throws off the whole compo. How do you compensate for cropping?

I agree, that is a pain in the butt, but you just gotta take a step back. Shoot loose, and crop in. Lots of time, people will want an 8x10 AND 5x7, which are two completely different ratios. You really just have to leave enough room in your shot for different crops.

I've abandoned thoughts of doing formal portrait work and just concentrate on the art of it. Not the best way to make sales to people, but it makes me happier and lets me crop to what I feel the picture wants rather than some convention. Probably doesn't help those that want to make portrait sales, though. For those I do sell unframed work to, I point to http://www.americanframe.com/ and show them that it can be as cheap to get a nice custom frame than even some crappy WalMart frames. A number of my images end up at 8x12, and I'm not going to crop them.

so you killed a tiger just for that picture... sheesh..

sweet shot.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back