Warranties

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, how do warranties work? I know there is a paper that talks about the warranty, what is covered what isnt. Is there any form I need to fill out and mail in for the warranty? I also somewhat recently got a EF 50mm F/1.4 and I dont know what happened to the warranty...

Do I need any sort of proof with warranty? I am young and dont know how warranties work, ive never had anything under warranty break so I never had to do anything. ANy information is helpful...thanks!

Generally you need proof of purchase to claim (proof that the kit is yours).
In the UK all products have a one year warrenty from time of purchase, and you don't need to fill in any forms for that - not sure about the US though.

Further some companies - like sigma - offer extended product warrenties - this can come in the form of a free warrenty longer than one year or a pay extra feature - generally speaking if you pay for the warrenty its a gamble between the chance of you needing to use it and the amount of time passing - as clearly after a certain limit of time the amount you pay to get the warrenty is greater than your kit is worth - that does require forms to be filled in.
Generally speaking the top end lenses don't tend to break that often and most times they do its user error (which is not warrenty covered that is insurance cover) - its rare that a paid extended warrenty on a lens will be needed (though there are alwasy cases) For dropping and such I suggest looking into insurance

Thanks, how does insurance work? Where can I get information on that? Ill be getting a $1700 lens in near future :p. I wanna know about insurance and warranties lol

*ask your parents/guardians ;)*

Insurance is another gamble - you pay each year and in exchange you can make a claim (for repaires/replacement/monitary value) if something that you are covered for happens to your item -- so say you insure your lens against theft, but not against accidental damage and then drop it down the stairs they won't give you anything - whilst if its stolen then you can make a claim. They then investigate and might (they always try to find a way out of paying you if they can) pay out/pay for repairs etc....
There are a lot of different companies and policies to insurace --- one tip is that whilst some smaller fringe companies might offer great low rates, they are also the most likey to not payout - larger companies start to worry more about image, though they will still avoid a fee if they can.

Most reactions

Back