Warranty or Not?

Guys,

Where can I see what the Nikon factory warranty covers?

Warranty is a form of insurance. Insurance companies are out to make money for themselves. It is a business.
Insurance is a business of statistics. Just because some people see it as a sunk cost of several hundred dollars, doesn't mean it keeps others from bankrupcy.
A friend of mine skiied into fence in Germany while on holidays. They airlifted him to hospital. The entire excersize cost him $250+$200 excess, and not the $25000 medical bill he was asked to pay.

Likewise people who's house burn down and are seen on TV saying "we've lost everything and can't pay for the repairs" get no sympathy from me.

Yea I did get that slip inside the box. The slip you keep until is needed right?
Put it somewhere safe!

Where can I see what the Nikon factory warranty covers?
It's a warranty. It covers manufacturing faults. If your shutter fails after a year, that's a manufacturing fault. If you drop your camera and there's a massive crack in the case and the mirror is out of alignment and the shutter fails, then the shutter failure is clearly not a manufacturing fault.

I work at Ritz and I think i might be able to shed some light on the subject.

We sell what's called an expanded service plan, it's generally not a whole lot of money, if you buy a $199 camera, it's 33 bucks for a years worth of coverage against pretty much ANYTHING, except theft, fire, or loss. As long as you bring it back in, we'll send it out for repair and we'll pay the repair bill, not you.

I've seen enough people come in and i've broken enough of my own stuff to recommend them.

I actually have a 1 year on my 50mm f/1.4G, because i've broken almost all my lenses at one point or another, and paying $75 fora years coverage as opposed to $300-400 for an inevitable repair is a no brainier for me. what's the worst that could happen, i'm out $75 over the course of a year? c'mon, I work minimum wage and that's chump change.

Now is it for everyone? of course not. It's not for the people who baby their ****. But if anything it gives you piece of mind, and if it's an SLR, you get as many free sensor cleanings as you want over the course of the plan.

It's your gear, your decision. I'm not trying to play salesman here, this is just my own personal experiences.

For what it's worth...I bought the Ritz ESP when I bought my D90. 9 months later I dropped the camera and lens on the concrete floor in my garage. I puked...picked up the pieces and rolled into Ritz.

Everything was fixed with no questions asked and at no charge. I was really happy with the coverage.

I only bought a year which will be running out shortly but I fully intend on extending it.

Ya never know what might happen.

Most reactions

Back