Was I too tough on this guy?(link to a car forum where a photography fued broke out)

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by DSLR noob, Oct 20, 2009.

1. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That was epic. Well put

~Michael~

3. bigmike

bigmike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I understand where you were coming from, but you seemed to come off as being very snobbish and condescending. I don't mean this to be a stab, but edge on the side of mercy.

4. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I was involved in that I sure wouldn't go around posting to other forums so everyone can see what was said in that thread.

:thumbdown:

5. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cause I came off as an ass? He needed someone to call it like it is, and I did just that. All the curse words were used because of a generic feel that whole forum has, have to fit in wih your audience you know?

6. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I dunno, you kind of started it and I don't think it was really necessary. Where's this law that requires you to run a full-time photography business to have the word "Photography" in your forum signature, anyway?

Yeah, so his pictures are ... "meh" ... I've seen worse, but I've certainly seen a heck of a lot better. We all sucked at first.

7. joeywpc

joeywpc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sure he wasn't asking to have his photography skills critiqued on a car forum. Did he ever say he was showing off the photos or the car in the photos? Not great photos (or car) but i think you were way out of line and came off looking like a pratt.

8. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a foul mouth. But I do try to watch myself. But no, it wasn't so much the cursing, but a lack of intelligent thought in every single post.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  9. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you came off as a Douche Bag......
    I'd also be willing to bet you wouldn't come off like that in person at a car meet.

10. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with battletone. Your attitude was uncalled for. I've offered lots of advice on this forum for photos that absolutely suck, but no where did I ever use language nor a tone like yours. Even when it was the 50th time I've explained something (like not shooting at f/14 for the moon, nor ISO 800). Even when people then contradict me, I've calmly and rationally explained why they are wrong and why their photos will be better if they do as I suggest.

What you did is just plain obnoxious. I actually read the thread thinking you were the original poster and thought that while the pictures weren't great, I felt sorry for you when reading the first reply thinking, "Wow, that guy's a real jacka--." Well, the sentiment remains for that first reply on that thread. And your subsequent ones.

11. Turnerea

Turnerea TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it's ok, just post this thread in some other forum and someone there will tell you that you shouldn't have even bothered to ask this question here.

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First reply was pretty outright nasty, but the post towards the bottom was far better.
    At first you were like "you suck get off my lawn" but then it was far more constructive with your constructive criticism. You need to tactfully tell people they suck. Otherwise they are more likely to completely give up than continue to try and learn.

I have a bit of teaching experience so I'll add this. When something does something that's just utter crap they are more likely to need guidance. I had an ELEC1000 student do a most basic wiring mistake which made it very clear they didn't have a clue what they were doing and this was late in the course. I got pissed since I went through this all before with the class and it was late in the semester. But the solution is not "HRRR fine I'll do it for you" or "my god you're an idiot why didn't you listen" or even "I've been through this 4 weeks ago read your notes from back then", the key to really getting them to learn is to prompt them with questions that make them think. Ask leading questions to get them to draw their own conclusion about why they suck so much.

So relating it back to just one point in what you said it's the difference between "use your lens hood next time" to asking the question if they think the flare adds to the image at all, and prompting them to think about it.

I agree with you in the entire thread, just not the method. Mind you there's professional teachers who approach classes the way you approached that thread so my opinion may be completely wrong :lmao:

And to eat my own words: "Do you think being rude to him will want him to continue to learn?" There now i'm not a hypocrite :lol:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009