was wandering how to take this type of pic

Rob A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
hey guys, new here, and to photography! i was just looking at some photos and i came across this. i really like it and was wandering if anything special would have to be done? i just have an olympus om40 at the moment with a standard 50mm lense. i am getting a zoom lense soon though.

WGflameLG.jpg

would there have to be any filters, or use a fast shuterspeed for this picture.

thanks for any help!! :thumbsup:

I'm struggling to see it to. Looks like a longish shutter speed to get the smooth movement. The background way probably a little way away to, so it didn't show up a great deal.
I can't see a reason why you can't get that shot if you understand about exposure and have access to those props.

i am not to aware of exposure etc... i have only just started to leanr about stuff like this. i have a few books on photography and stuff. ino stuff like slow shutter for water etc...

thanks loads for your help! sorry for it being hard to see!! will try slow shutter! thanks! :D

I'm not sure but it looks like it may be a fast shutter to "freeze" the movement of the flames.

The best thing to do is experiment. Set up a flame (be careful) and try it with all sorts of aperture & shutter speed combinations.

Rather spookily (and not any help to you) I've just noticed a face in the bottom of that flame. :shock:

When I say a long shutter, I don't mean seconds. You may only need 1/30 or something. I honestly can't say more than that. Sorry.

yeh, ill just experiment with different shutters and apertures.

thanks for your quick responses!!

ill show you my result when i get it done!! :)

thanks!!

ferny said:
Rather spookily (and not any help to you) I've just noticed a face in the bottom of that flame. :shock:

When I say a long shutter, I don't mean seconds. You may only need 1/30 or something. I honestly can't say more than that. Sorry.

Holy Crap! I see the face too! That is spooooooky!

core_17 said:
ferny said:

Holy Crap! I see the face too! That is spooooooky!

YOUR RIGHT!
THAT WILL GIVE ME NIGHTMARES FOR A WEEK! :pale: :shock:

that shot was done with smoke and mirrors! HA. I see the face too, when I first looked I thought the shot was heavily PS'ed. but I'm sure if you move your shutter speed up an down you'll find the correct setting.

I've done stuff like this.

You take a 15-30 sec shutter speed, a source of flame, a black suit and paint.

Here is a shot I took on my vacation this summer with a simple campfire. First one in color, the second is a green channel BW.

Tv 1/350
Av f/5.6
70mm
ISO 400

firec4256.jpg

firebw4256.jpg

wow, thats brilliant!! i really like that!! thanks! as i dont have a digital, im guna just have to take lots and hope that one of them come out well!!

thanks loads!!

you might want to try backlighting as it will make the smoke show up, just put some sort of light on the exact opposite side that you are shooting from... just a thought, give it a try

Most reactions

Back