Washington D.C. Hotel Price Thread!

Discussion in 'Locations & Meetup forum' started by Chase, Jan 7, 2006.

?

What is the max you comfortable spending per night on a hotel?

1. Less than $100

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. $100-150

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. $150-175

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. $175+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Just a quick poll to get an idea of what people are comfortable spending on a hotel per night in the D.C. area.

It would be great to get as many of us together as possible, so please let me know what you'd be comfortable paying if you are planning on going.

2. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    i voted 150 to 175 but would go up a little more but would like to stay under 200, but less is good

3. Wally

Wally TPF Noob!

I will be staying with my parents in Laurel MD, sorry they only have a tiny condo and even I will be sleeping on their couch but they do have several low budget hotels. Would me more than happy to drive people into the city every day to and from Laurel if you go with a higher price hotel and want a lower cost option.

Laurel has a Motel 6, a Knights Inn, and a Days Inn.

4. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm in the less than :grumpy:
    Not because I'm cheap, because this is gonna be expensive. Trust me, I'd love to stay somewhere nice. It's been a while since we've got to do that. My wife, Sicily, will be coming with me. So I've gotta double everything! I'm already looking at around $500 just for tickets and three days of parking at the airport. :confused:

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Same here: flight seems to be a special offer for € 900.- for the two of us together way there and back transatlantic, but we have to count in car rental, other stays overnight, food and all that... and we are the two of us, so unless these are prices for double, we'd have to have it all by two, as well... so I think I must vote for the "Less than..."

6. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm still trying to get more info on hotels. The really nice ones are around $160-200 per room, there are some others around $125 or so, and then there is something like a travelodge for about $90ish. These are all fairly close to the sights (being that I want to avoid having a car if at all possible), so walking should be easy to get to most of the points of interest.

7. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    So how to we be around town, i can not do alot of walk

8. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

The hotel costs near the suitland expressway are reasonable as far as I remember. They're on the southeastern part of town but not too far away.

Most of the stuff in DC is pretty centrally located so we should be okay, Jeff. We just pick one end of all the stuff and check it out. I'm sure we could get away with less walking than JT.

9. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

without the assistance of a personal driver or taxi, you aren't going to get around here easily unless you hook-up with a tour service....another reason i threw out the possibility of breaking into smaller groups. i will see what i can find out about them and post the results.

regarding hotels, $99 is literally a rathole here and located on the "wrong" side of town. the travel lodge is rated 2 stars. let me see what i can fnd out today and post that as well.

if you plan to vacation in dc, especially on this particular weekend, be prepared to spend $ even in a group setting. otherwise, you will need to find accomodations in n.va or md.

edit: those of you coming alone may consider sharing rooms. that will cut your accomodation costs in half.

10. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Why is this particular weekend expensive?

Cherry blossoms? Spring break?

11. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

;) beautiful sight to see!

12. Calliope

Calliope TPF Noob!

Here's some info I hope to be helpful. Here is a map of the DC area: (I know it's big, but I wanted you to be able read some of the Landmarks, etc.)

[​IMG]

I included where the Hyatt is above the capitol since Chase mentioned it as a possible hotel. Most of what you will probably see is in the National Mall area. Driving distance between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial is 2 miles. As you can see, there is a lot of walking involved. The museums are located in the Mall area. JonMikal and my recommendation for hotels is in the yellow box area - these hotels are closest to restaurants, pubs, etc.

There are also several places to see around the DC area not found in the mall, such as The Washington Cathedral which is about 5 miles outside of DC, The Arlington National Cemetary located across the Potomac in Virginia, etc. Georgetown is also a cool place to visit, especially for people like Chiller :p who would like to see the famous stairs in the movie THE EXORCIST.

Hotels may be a little costly inside the DC area but you don't want to do too much driving into the DC area. It's extremely hard to find parking places and not the easiest city to drive around in... I had to learn that the hard way :er: . The Metro is an alternative to get pretty much anywhere you want to go in DC.