Wasp Head Shot

tomhooper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thomashooper.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got stung right after this first shot. Hate that I cut the legs off, but I had intended to shoot a few more takes. Trouble is that the subject was grouchy. Sting doing fine now. Canon XSi, Canon 100mm Macro, 31mm tube, MT-24EX flash, mono-pod, and Calamine Lotion.

wasphead6132009web.jpg

I would have to give you the "brass balls" award for that picture.

I wouldn't even have considered it Wasps and Hornets get the 30 foot Raid Treatment from me.

Maybe he stung you, because you cut his legs off ;-)

Did you see the eyes?!!! He looks pissed.

Gross!! Nice shot but man it makes me cringe. Hate those things, bad experiences when i was little lol

Awesome!

Word to the wise: wasps are way more aggressive in hot weather. If you catch them on a day below about 50 they get real sluggish. You can pretty much just touch them and they will fall off the nest.

You know first thing I thought when I looked at the shot was

"darn you get red wasps!"
the second thing was

"oh he does not look very happy"

seems I was right ;) A good shot - it is a shame about the legs I agree, but the rest is good and I like his out of focus friend in the background. Lighting is also good and soft - no glaring highlight problems that I can see

wow nice shot, great job after all the trouble you went through.
clear.gif

Awesome!

Word to the wise: wasps are way more aggressive in hot weather. If you catch them on a day below about 50 they get real sluggish. You can pretty much just touch them and they will fall off the nest.

Unfortunately here as in Florida, we don't get days in the 50's this time of year. It was 97 today. Maybe I'll try again in oh say November.

You know first thing I thought when I looked at the shot was

"darn you get red wasps!"
the second thing was

"oh he does not look very happy"

seems I was right ;) A good shot - it is a shame about the legs I agree, but the rest is good and I like his out of focus friend in the background. Lighting is also good and soft - no glaring highlight problems that I can see

I got a new MT-24EX the day before this shot was taken. Makes a lot of difference when you can adjust the light intensity. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and the sting is all better. Going back out again. I'm not too smart sometimes.

You should get a CO2 fire extinquisher.

Cold CO2 MIGHT slow em down a little bit.

Eugh. *shudders* I've had way too many bad experiences with wasps. Like farmerj, they get the 30 foot Raid treatment from me...well, assuming I have Raid around. Otherwise I just...battle back my phobia and trap 'em with something...

Great shot though. For the few seconds I could look at it without having my minor phobia become very, very annoying. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back