WASSUUUP!!!?!?!?

pistolero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wassuup photo nerds?
I know absolutely nothing about photography. I've been out of work for several months and one of my friends is a pro photographer who mentioned if I wanted to learn he could most likely get me a job when school pictures start up for next year. So here I am. My only experience is trying to take pics of the kids and such. Had a cheap 35mm when they were kids. Got a cheap digital a few years back and it makes OK pics.
Anyway this afternoon I obtained a Fujifilm FinePix S2950. I know this is a cheap facsimile of a real DSLR just from what I have researched online in the last couple of days but it's what I could come up with on short notice and no budget. It's a long story, I'll have more time to type later.
So some of my first pics taken as soon as I figured out how to get the thing on and working are these.
The flower was a petunia on the porch taken on the macro setting and just cropped and downsized. The dog and my daughter were taken on auto and just cropped downsized and "autocorrected" on my pc's Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
I know they suck and I know I need a better camera and software and lots of practice but it's pretty awesome to me that anyone nowadays can go spend less than a couple hundred bucks and on the first day start popping out pics like this.
Thanks for having this place set up, I have lots to learn!

rudyjune2012_007.jpg

fuji01_002.jpg

Calling these guys photo nerds may not get you much help, but I like your dog.
I'm no pro but the pictures seem a bit out of focus, soft. Look thru some of the posts and find some of the 'free' online help.
Learn some of the photography rules like The Rule of Thirds, etc. and take lots of pictures and then critique them yourself and get some abuse on here too.
Good luck.

I'm insulted.....I'm not a nerd!!! I'm a geek!!!

I'm a strong nerd does that count?

Thanks, we love Rudy! And come on man, all forums are full of nerds of whatever the forum is about, I'm a gun geek, hence the name. And yeah like I said I know the pics suck, I've taken some with my $100 Kodak easyshare 3.2 megapixel from years back sharper than that, but there are so many settings/modes ect ect on this thing I don't even know where to start. I'm sure a 14 megapixel camera will do much better as soon as I learn what I'm doing. I am impressed at how sharp some of the real close pics have come out with the macro. That's the one thing the cheap older cameras I always had could not do, at least with my nonexistent skills.
Also i just phoned a cousin of mine who was into some photography a couple years back who said she had a Nikon D3100 she's not using that I could have to learn on!:headbang:

I just figured Mr Nerds or Grand Geeks or something would be more appropriate :)

Day 2 tried the same shot on iso400 macro. Not much difference.

iso400_005.jpg

Some progress. I found a setting called sharpness and set it to hard. DUH!!!

Rudy is tired of being my model.

HARD_FOCUS_001.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Welcome to the Photo Forum, I am sure you will find plenty of information you can use to help you on your photography journey.

Thanks, we love Rudy! And come on man, all forums are full of nerds of whatever the forum is about, I'm a gun geek, hence the name. And yeah like I said I know the pics suck, I've taken some with my $100 Kodak easyshare 3.2 megapixel from years back sharper than that, but there are so many settings/modes ect ect on this thing I don't even know where to start. I'm sure a 14 megapixel camera will do much better as soon as I learn what I'm doing. I am impressed at how sharp some of the real close pics have come out with the macro. That's the one thing the cheap older cameras I always had could not do, at least with my nonexistent skills.
Also i just phoned a cousin of mine who was into some photography a couple years back who said she had a Nikon D3100 she's not using that I could have to learn on!:headbang:

Start with Reading the F'ing manual! :lol: It's cool how that works--they actually TELL you in there what all those settings and modes are for and how to set them...

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Welcome to TPF. And personally, I am both a Geek AND a Nerd. And proud of it.

And seriously...it really doesn't matter whether it's a Fuji whatever you said, or a D3100 or something fancy...you gotta learn to walk before you can run. Study composition rules and the exposure triangle, for starters.

Welcome to TPF.

I'm not a nerd nor a geek....... just a dude. I live in Raleigh too, near Crabtree.

Start with Reading the F'ing manual! :lol: It's cool how that works--they actually TELL you in there what all those settings and modes are for and how to set them...

But wouldn't that take all the fun out of it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back