Water accident!!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by rfm, Oct 15, 2006.

1. rfm

rfm TPF Noob!

My first post, so hope this is in the right section...

Today on the beach I took my Camera (Fuji Finepixe s5600) I waded out to about knee hight to try and take some snap shots of friends surfing. I had an embarassing moment and kind of fell witht eh camera in my hands. The camera would have been in the water (salt water) for about 15 seconds. I tried it to see if it worked and nothing. The casing didn't fill with water, however when I took the case of there was little deposits of white stuff (persumeabley salt?) on the micro boards ( I think there called that?) What should I be doing to make my camera alive agin? Is there any chance? How do I get into the lens of this camera too as there is tinyndots of water which I'm sure will show up on the pictures if just left to do it's thing!

The camera is still underwarranty....Do I try and say some sort of acid has leaked inside the camera? (I'm 100% sure I wont be covered Lol!)

Thanks in advance

A gutted Rick!

2. midget patrol

midget patrol TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    First thing to do is remove power sources. i.e. Take out the batteries.

Call Fuji, see if they'll fix/replace it. My sister's camera filled itself with sand (???) and sony replaced it for free.

If not, let it dry for a couple of days at the minimum and lightly rub off the salt deposits. Getting into the lens is not advisable.

3. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    salt is a killer as it speeds up corrosion on your metal parts in the microelectronics ... get it dry as quickly as you can, try to remove the salt GENTLY.

don't scratch the lense with salt crystals or sand ...

... all in all sounds like a horrible experience ... certainly pushes up your adrenaline level!

try to get it replaced if possible,.

4. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you tried to turn it on while it was still wet you probably can forget getting it repaired putting power through a wet camera will just fry it i did the same thing not with salt water but as soon as I turned it on it was fried.

5. Illah

Illah TPF Noob!

Salt water is also much more conductive that fresh water, meaning the chance of a bad short is pretty high. Shorts can be inconsequential or fatal depending on what shorted. If it weren't for the optics my advice would be to rinse that thing off with distilled water and get it really clean. Even if you scrape off the salt deposits there'll be tiny deposits EVERYWHERE - under chip pin legs, in the smallest crack, etc. Water + Electronics isn't inherently bad, but add in salt and electricity and you have trouble.

Hate to say it but my guess is that camera is gone...try the warantee and cross your fingers is my advice!

--Illah

6. rfm

rfm TPF Noob!

Thanks alotfor the not to promising advice Lol.

I've emailed Fuji...still no reply yet.

I tok the camera back to the shop today, where they have sent of the camera to Fuji. I didn't tell the retailer that I dropped it in the sea...that wouldn't have gone down to well! I'm guessing a Fuji repairer will be able to tell, therefore I won't be covered? What are the chance sof replacement/repair?

Rick.

7. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Where did you buy it? I know Ritz Camera where I worked offers a protection plan for everything they sell and it would have covered this and any other similar thing like it. I can't count the number of people who would tell me they did not need coverage like that and a week later come in with a story like yours and I would have to tell them there was nothing I could do. Those things are pricey and really suck when you don't have to use them but if you do they are great. As for a manufacturer warranty covering this Good Luck!! you will probably recieve an estimate for the cost of the repair or just get it back with a note saying "not economical to repair" wich is what I got when I dropped my Nikon 8008s in the water when it was about 3 years old.

8. rfm

rfm TPF Noob!

Can I say??

Wilkinson Camera's. Didn't take insurance!

Damn, well I can successfuly say, I became a Photgraphy gimp for 3 weeks! I feel naked without my camera!