Water colours

Darfion

Soapbox guru...
Reaction score
Website
www.darfion.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Going out tomorrow morning, after my head has stopped spinning, and going buying a water colours paint kit. Dabbled a few years ago and decided to rekindle my artistic (sic) side. Does anyone on here paint in water colours?
The kit comes in a wooden box (12"x10") ish and has everything you need and it only cost about £10 that's about $14 so if i get bored/frustrated with it there's very little lost.

Not free form, to simply paint something, no. I've been taught how to apply them for hand coloring B&W images but they're a bit messy for that. I also love the feel of some good watercolor papers for doing things like image transfers. That's the extent of my experience! :blulsh2:

You'll have to post your creations!

terri said:
You'll have to post your creations!
Only if they turn out right. :roll: I'm too critical of my own work no matter what i'm doing. What i might think is crap, others might like so...
Will have to think of some subjects first.
Oh what the hell. I'll post em here. they can always go in the bloopers section :lol:

not with watercolors, but i've thought about a little oil painting :D ... there is a technique, i forget what its called, where u paint over a photographic image ... hmmmmm ?? :idea:

my only experience with water colors so far was mixing up some colors to match skin tones and the colors of my hair and whatnot for a selfportrait project i did in art class this semester. it was a *****. all i had to do though was paint full pages of paper a certain color and then i cut each one up into little 1 inch squares. the trouble was, i would underestimate how many sheets i needed to paint to get the right number of squares sometimes and then i'd have to go back and try to recreate that color again after the fact. it's NOT easy to mix the colors exactly the same the second time around. UGH!

i'm sure it gets easier with more and more practice, but this was pretty stressful for me having never worked with them before.

sorry champ, all my art is straight lines and computer generated...AUTOCAD rules!!!!

md

... there is a technique, i forget what its called, where u paint over a photographic image ... hmmmmm ??

Dew, are you thinking of something other than hand tinting, or hand coloring? You can use water colors, photo oils, acrylic oils (though they are more opaque and can hide the image which produces a more painterly effect when it's done well), pencils, all kinds of things. Hand coloring is hand coloring, but there are lots of mediums and techniques out there.

yeh, maybe one of these days i'll get off my bum and get some oil :lol: .. it sounds like fun

i've always wanted to do an oil painting ... thats one of my secret passions :D ... shhhh!!!

MDowdey said:
sorry champ, all my art is straight lines and computer generated...AUTOCAD rules!!!!
You mean that you don't use Pro-E or Catia or similar?
How cheap can you get?

mrsid99 said:
MDowdey said:
You mean that you don't use Pro-E or Catia or similar?
How cheap can you get?

I have been using Inventor for about 9 mouths, very happy with it, before that Mechanical Desktop for about 2-1/2; you have to fight with MD a lot IMO to get good drawings and it a memory hog, Inventor is a lot better, but I not saying perfect, Before 3D I used 2D AutoCAD for about 14 years, I was only on the board for about 2 years

SID, I am under the impression that full version of Pro-E is more that most people (maybe 90%) need, other that rocket scientists

What do you think about Solid Works?

Hi Darren, I did the same as you some years ago because I thought watercolours looked simple.....wrong. I found it to be one of the most difficult skills to master. In my opinion start with Acrylics, that way uou can cover your mistakes up.

Having said that your first attempts look pretty good.

[quote="Jeff Canes
SID, I am under the impression that full version of Pro-E is more that most people (maybe 90%) need, other that rocket scientists

What do you think about Solid Works?[/quote]

Hi Jeff,
Same old story, it depends on what you're using it for.
If you intend to go straight to a mold or machined part without intermediate drawings (the only way to fly for quality reasons) then you're practically forced into one of the higher level programs.
Pro-E versus Solidworks, depends on who you talk to as to which is better. My involvement with various design teams has always been with Pro-E so it's in my comfort zone but a lot of designers claim that Solidworks has more limitations particularly with generating multiple curved surfaces, I also suspect that cost has a lot to do with which one is favorite.

Most reactions

Back