Water drop fly macro

The first one is really nice.
What's your setup? What did you use there, i mean :)

Cheers

The first one is really nice.
What's your setup? What did you use there, i mean :)

Cheers

Thanks! I used a Canon 70D APSc with the MP-E 65mm at 3x magnification mounted on a tripod and a cheap kiwi focus rail.
For lighting I used two speed lights a canon 430EX III and a Yongnuo YN600EX. On the the Yongnuo I used a cheap 6"x6" Vello softbox diffuser and on the canon I just used the oem diffuser.

Im new to this stacking thing, Im just starting to figure out some of the post processing tricks which I could have use to correct the flaws in the first one you mentioned had I known of them at the time. Been doing macro for about a year it what got me interested in Photography in the first place. Actually I pulled out my receipt just a couples days ago, August 13th will be my 1 year anniversary of buying my first DSLR so Im still trying to figure it out and I got to keep reminding myself of that.

I suppose as is the case will all good photography light is everything. I feel like im finding this especially true with macro. With the macro I see that really blows me away I can always tell that the lighting was perfectly diffused at just the right angles. I notice that with your macros you have done recently, the lighting really makes them have that extra something. I think it shows your experience and talent that im still trying to acquire.

These are a couple more from the last week one I posted in a separate thread the other one is new. I definitely dont think I nailed it on the grasshopper. The lighting still seems too harsh. Granted its body had much more reflective surfaces. How might you have done the grasshopper differently?

20160723-2016-07-24 10-12-35 (C)finalx by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

20160719-flystack07192016.5 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Yes, light is everything :)
You have a MP-e 65mm :O
I am jealous now...

I can't go past 3X magnification with tubes and stuff, and you have a lens that can go up to 5X natively :p

I am also new to macro photography.
With reflective bugs I tend to diffuse the light even more. That obligates me to reduce the shutter speed.
But at those magnifications you have to be on a tripod, so it's the same ;)
I don't use flash, but two led lamps...

I will post my setup again when my new Tokina and Raynox arrives :)

Cheers

I am jealous now...

I can't go past 3X magnification with tubes and stuff, and you have a lens that can go up to 5X natively :p

With reflective bugs I tend to diffuse the light even more. That obligates me to reduce the shutter speed.

Cheers

So maybe thats the next step for me is to get a couple decent constant light sources and save the flash for the field work. I just ordered a Cognisys stack shot motorized focus rail and soon will be adding a Canon 2x III teleconverter which will take me up to 10X magnification. I think this is where the stackshot will really come in at these extreme magnifications as is has a step resolution of .01mm

insane detail. crazy.

I am jealous now...

Cheers

So maybe thats the next step for me is to get a couple decent constant light sources and save the flash for the field work. I just ordered a Cognisys stack shot motorized focus rail and soon will be adding a Canon 2x III teleconverter which will take me up to 10X magnification. I think this is where the stackshot will really come in at these extreme magnifications as is has a step resolution of .01mm
Don't buy the 2X teleconverter for that. It doesn't work like that :p
It will transform your 65mm into a 130mm, but the focusing distance also changes.
To higher magnifications you will need tubes or other lenses.

My "master" uses microscopic lenses on a 200mm.
But it's kinda complicated...

But if the 2X converter it's on the way, you can try it for yourself and see if does anything :)
I would be happy to go up to 5X with quality :)

Cheers

Ah you know what you are right, the guy I saw doing this was also using the TC with additional extension tubes. Im getting the teleconverter to add a little reach to a 70-200 2.8 anyway so no loss if it dosnt work as planned. Will be fun to play with regardless.

Thanks for your your input.

But I am not 100% sure :)
You can give it a try and then you can say something here :p

Cheers

Most reactions

Back