Water Droplet Photos

ShermaNation

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I haven't attempted this myself, but if anyone is interested or has any sugestions on how to shoot water droplet photos post here! Also, throw up any pics for examples and whatnot.

I'm not really sure how they set it up exactly but i was watching this show called time warp where they play with high speed cameras, and they were doing it with different lighting like a red light on top i think and then a blue one in the background. So it made different parts of the splash are highlighted in different colors.

Edit: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpSVatlIOrs[/ame]

EVERY ONE loves a high-speed water droplet photo. No matter how crappy it is creatively or compositionally, if you can successfully freeze the water (action not below 0 degrees) most non-photographers will be amazed.

Here are a few for ya:

275622918_E5g93-X3.jpg

275622739_oeQoe-X3.jpg

275622703_PK6mY-X3.jpg

Here is my set up:
275612604_Pma8q-X3.jpg

I use the wireless remote as I drip the water. I take a lot of shots till I get some keepers. You don't need a multi-flash wireless set up though. One Flash will do. Practice, Practice , Practice. Have fun
Here is one with one flash:
234561265_Dzee5-X3.jpg

Last edited:
I have one - two - three - four threads running somewhere here on TPF on droplet photography, and the set-up I used for them can be seen in Post 9 of the link called "three" here.
It's just a Rebel XT and a Speedlite, and the el-cheapo Sigma 70-300mm lens in its macro position. No high speed camera. That was totally unnecessary.

This is great, Thanks for the quick replies! This will be my expirement this week Ill post my results back here.

FDSA, that is an awesome show, I saw that episode, but of course i dnt have that expensive equipment they do.

Those are epic! And so nice of you to share your setup...
I remember many of your insect shots btw.

-Shea

Mine are not too shabby, either... only do they hide behind links. :blushing:

Mine are not too shabby, either... only do they hide behind links. :blushing:
No, not quite hidden... After looking at them and coming back to this thread I got distracted and failed to mention I like your shots in those (hidden) links :)

I don't have any experience with this type of shot (once I get a flash I will try, though!) so I can't give any tips, only observations. I like the shapes and "designs" however, they don't seem as crisp as the shots above. Perhaps an ISO setting? Heck, I have to admit I'd be happy if my first attempts were 1/2 this good....

Yea i noticed that too, I think its because I didn't have a tripod with me, I was balencing the cam on books and couldn't get as close to the water as id like. So these images are the result of a massive crop job.

Most reactions

Back