TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregorytran.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

do you guys have any opinions on this?

i know pictures like this have been done many times before.. but they look so cool to me i had to try it myself...

3813694130_aa9cc36ba3.jpg

Love it... looks perfect to my eyes. Is the container that the water is in black, or did you put a black card behind a glass bowl or something? Where/what was your light source, and what did you drop in the water? This might be something I'd like to try.

I like it but I think I would have liked it better if the foreground ripple was more in focus. Then again maybe not.

o.k you gotta spill the beans cause i'm keen to give this a go. How did you do it?

i can honestly say, this is one of the best water droplets I've seen... and I've a lot..

ok... disclaimer... this took post processing... i had to adjust the different sliders in LR to get the background as dark as it is... and i cleaned up some random spots in PS...

So this was my setup - i've seen other ppl's pictures of setups for similar picture and they have all sorts of stands and flashes and stuff, but i don't have anything like that so i had to try and ghetto rig it...

it's a coffee mug that is actually dark purple, but it has an uneven glaze on it, so you can actually see how the rim is more white in the picture bc thats how the mug looks...

for the background i pinned a black t-shirt to the wall (lol) and lined my table with black t-shirt

the mug is sitting on a plate underneath the black t-shirts to try and catch some of the drip.

lighting is the built in flash... you can tell from the white spot on the rim of the mug that the flash is coming head on...

i tried using this LED touchlight thing to the side to light the droplets since i don't have a real flash, but it just wasn't putting out enought light... every time i tried to take a pic it was just completely black...

this pic prob can be a lot cooler if shot w/ a macro lens and an off camera flash i think... can prob get a lot sharper stuff...

oh to drop the water, i had a t-shirt sleeve soaked w/ water, and i just held it up over the cup w/ my left hand and squeezed it to get a drop out while my right hand took the picture...

sooo.. yea. i'd really like to try this again with different setup/equipment... i think it would be cool to get a lot of colors in there

ok... disclaimer... this took post processing... i had to adjust the different sliders in LR to get the background as dark as it is... and i cleaned up some random spots in PS...

So this was my setup - i've seen other ppl's pictures of setups for similar picture and they have all sorts of stands and flashes and stuff, but i don't have anything like that so i had to try and ghetto rig it...

it's a coffee mug that is actually dark purple, but it has an uneven glaze on it, so you can actually see how the rim is more white in the picture bc thats how the mug looks...

for the background i pinned a black t-shirt to the wall (lol) and lined my table with black t-shirt

the mug is sitting on a plate underneath the black t-shirts to try and catch some of the drip.

lighting is the built in flash... you can tell from the white spot on the rim of the mug that the flash is coming head on...

i tried using this LED touchlight thing to the side to light the droplets since i don't have a real flash, but it just wasn't putting out enought light... every time i tried to take a pic it was just completely black...

this pic prob can be a lot cooler if shot w/ a macro lens and an off camera flash i think... can prob get a lot sharper stuff...

oh to drop the water, i had a t-shirt sleeve soaked w/ water, and i just held it up over the cup w/ my left hand and squeezed it to get a drop out while my right hand took the picture...

sooo.. yea. i'd really like to try this again with different setup/equipment... i think it would be cool to get a lot of colors in there

Wow, considering the "ghetto" setup, it looks amazing. I do agree with you though about off-camera lighting.... but then again this still looks amazing. You've inspired me, I'll have to try this. I'm impressed with how perfectly center you got the water droplet in the coffee mug, considering you were using one hand to squeeze it out and the other hand on the shutter... nice!

Wow this is actually really impressive, especially after reading your explanation of how you did it lol.

I can see now that you mentioned it, the brim of the mug.

Nicely done :p

Like I tell you Syphlix (and I've been told), practice makes perfect. Also, sometimes achieving a great photo like this one takes a photographer looking "outside-the-box". This has also inspired me. At the moment I am without a camera. When I get one again, I will start posting more of my work.

Most reactions

Back