Water Droplets and Bubbles C&C

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been awhile since I have shot anything but landscapes, so today I thought I would try something I have done before but add a twist to it, I think I got some decent results.

1. First shot I got that was halfway decent, but after shooting a hundred or so I realised it just wasnt enough.

bubbles01.jpg

2. Working with bubbles is a complete nightmare for composition, and droplets for timing, fun though.

bubbles02.jpg

bubbles03.jpg

bubbles04.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C welcomed.

If you have nothing to add for C&C, a simple thumbs up or down will suffice.

Cheers.

WOW! These are amazing!! I absolutely love them, in particular the last 3! Fantastic job. Can i ask what your set up was and what equipment you used :D ;)

Hey thanks Noonz, set up was pretty complicated at first, then I ended up having to simplify it to get the last 3.

White shallow plastic tray, holding the water.
External flash remotely triggered opposite camera firing through a light tent fairly close to water level.

Canon 500D, EF 50mm 1.8, intervalometer as a remote shutter release, mirror lock up on, manual settings and manual focus.

Patience, trial and error.

These are really nice. I never thought of incorporating a bubble into these types of shots. How did you get the bubbles to stay where you wanted them and how did you make them? Good shots. I think the tea lights are a little too much though IMO.

#2 and #3 are ridiculous good... wow..

They're all pretty special though, I like them all.
These really are outstanding.

I like them! Great concept and I like the touch with the candles! It adds a lot to the shot. I would think the drop would bust the bubble. I learned something new today :)
#2 has a really nice feel to it. Very nice!

How did you get the bubbles to stay where you wanted them and how did you make them?.

I had to blow on them directly or through a straw to get them where I wanted, I placed a small pebble on the bottom of the tray to mark my focus point.

The drinking straw was used to make them, dip the end in dish washing solution.

Lots and lots of misses. ;)

Well done. I know how tedious it is just to get the water drop in sharp focus. I can only imagine adding the complexity of a bubble as well. I'll have to try this myself one rainy day.

Well done. I know how tedious it is just to get the water drop in sharp focus. I can only imagine adding the complexity of a bubble as well. I'll have to try this myself one rainy day.

Yep, it is tricky, but as far as I am concerned the harder something is to do, the more I learn from it, and I have often found that techniques discovered when doing stuff like this apply to other areas of photography.

It was a rainy day too and I had no "real" work to do, pitfalls of being self employed!!

Anyway, thought I may as well share a few more that I have cropped a little tighter and done very quick and basic PP.

Some of these actually reveal the water passing through the bubble.

bubblesplash001.jpg

bubblesplash002.jpg

bubblesplash003.jpg

bubblesplash004.jpg

bubblesplash005.jpg

Last edited:
wow, thats so cool!

INCREDIBLE!!!! Excellent pictures! Very, very cool! I can hardly wait until I have equipment to take these kind of artistic, beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

simply stunning. if there was an "I bow down to you" emoticon, I'd post it. :hail: Hey, check it out...there is!

I guess when everyone pretty much says the shots suck you should listen, and I do, and I learn from that.

Then you get a thread like this, wow!!

Thanks all!!! :thumbup: :drunk:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back